What is this component?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's an electric garage door, does anyone know what the component circled in red is? Secondly, does anyone know how I'd fix it as the component has come off the circuit board at one end.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
It is a plastic film capacitor. You will need to solder it in. If it has been forced off of the circuit board, the board may be damaged which may be very difficult to repair, as this board has at least 2 circuit layers.

There is also mains voltage at this point and in this area of the PCB so great care must be taken to ensure that any repair does not cause any safety hazards.

Thanks freddo. The break seems to be in the leg of the capacitor, so hopefully someone can carefully melt the solder and remove it then add a new one.

Any idea if I can pick up the matching component from anywhere? I've emailed the manufacturer but feel it's unlikely they'll supply one...

If the leg has just snapped the PCB will likely be fine, however some skill is needed to prevent damage when unsoldering the leg and the other leg of the capacitor.

It looks like a standard part, you will need to match the component ratings and capacitor type exactly. They will be printed on one of the larger sides of the capacitor. It will likely be a class X (or possibly class Y) capacitor and will probably marked X2 or similar on it. The replacement must be the same specification.

Post a photo of what is printed on it if you are unsure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddo; it definitely has an X2 on it. Other components are in the way so I cannot see all the markings, but this image shows the legible bits:

Attachments

• 20160127_215410.jpg
    20160127_215410.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 135
It appers to be an Epcos MKP style X2 rated capacitor. I can't tell you what value it is as that (important!) information is hidden behind something in that photo!

I've got a non-temp controlled one and a desolder pump. May ask someone more skilled to have a go anyway though as I don't want to balls up the PCB.

It appers to be an Epcos MKP style X2 rated capacitor. I can't tell you what value it is as that (important!) information is hidden behind something in that photo!

How are these photos, any better?

Attachments

• 20160127_221158-1.jpg
    20160127_221158-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20160127_221251-1.jpg
    20160127_221251-1.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 148
Yes it's rated 0.1μF (100nF). It is available from RS, part number 875-2245 here. (Ignore the photo it has a different rating)

I was wrong it's made by Kemet not Epcos.

Yes it's rated 0.1μF (100nF). It is available from RS, part number 875-2245 here. (Ignore the photo it has a different rating)

I was wrong it's made by Kemet not Epcos.

Brilliant, thank you. Looks like I'll have 24 spares as well because they come in a minimum 25 pack!! Thanks for all your help, Freddo, that's made life a lot easier

Yes it's rated 0.1μF (100nF). ...
It's a bit naughty having nothing printed to the left of the decimal point (or using a different notation, or giving the value in nF), isn't it? When I first looked, I thought it just said 1μF.

Kind Regards, John

The missing/blurry/rubbed off decimal point was why some manufacturers adopted the notation of putting the multiplier in place of the decimal point, e.g. 0μ1 instead of 0.1μF.

The missing/blurry/rubbed off decimal point was why some manufacturers adopted the notation of putting the multiplier in place of the decimal point, e.g. 0μ1 instead of 0.1μF.
Indeed - that's what I meant by "different notation" - as you say, 0μ1, analogous with 0R1 etc.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back