Electronics learning book?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I wonder if anyone could advise me?

I would like to learn about electronics, components such as diode's, potentiometers, resistors, circuit board components etc. What they do, how to test/measure them, etc.

Is there any book/guide available that could help me please something that I could learn from and teach myself from.

Many thanks for any advise offered.

Sponsored Links
I have a few but unfortunately they're written by my University and not for distribution! However all the information can easily be found online. http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/compon.htm would be a good place to start. Once you've got the basics it's easier to know what you're looking for.

Depending on how much you want to learn, once you've got the basics you might want to start looking at Kirchhoff's laws, Node & Mesh analysis, Thevenin & Norton equivalent circuits, and so on.

I'll also link you to this, a Circuit Simulator. You can play around with it, creating your own circuits or observing the ones already on there.

Thanks a lot for that link, it is just what I was wanting. I will read thriough that now. It is much appreciated.

This book's great: The Art of Electronics, by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
but expensive.

Sponsored Links
but expensive.
It's not only 'great', it is probably the best general electronics text book on the market bar none. Recommended as a reference for all budding and practicing electronics engineers.

but expensive.
It's not only 'great', it is probably the best general electronics text book on the market bar none. Recommended as a reference for all budding and practicing electronics engineers.

Yes - it's the only book I bought in my first year at university which is still on my book shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back