What is this?! Gas pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is behind some boxing behind our front door. We're having someone come out to install a new floor for us and I would like rid of this prior! Is it an old gas pipe? If so would I get a gas safe engineer to cut it down and cap off below floor level? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
That looks to me like the incoming gas main with an Emergency Control Valve (ECV) on it, minus its handle. If so, unless it is a subsidiary ECV then:
1. It should never have been left like but should have been capped off (whether subsidiary or not).
2. It will require someone like Cadent to make it safe and remove it.
3. You will, I suspect, be looking at a large bill for this work, which can't be done by a gas safe engineer as it is on the board's side of the (missing) meter.

Sponsored Links
Oof, that's confused me! I'll leave it as it is if it's very expensive. I just wanted it lowered below the floor. It's inside the house on the left of the door. The gas meter is outside the house, on the right side of the door.

Yep, as per @oldbuffer, a disused incoming supply. I would say it could be just cut off. Might have to be Gas Transporter though. Don’t think it’ll be expensive, if any cost.

Sally, this pipe could be an old redundant gas pipe, a gas safe engineer be able to check for you.

Andy

a gas safe engineer be able to check for you.
It would be better if she asked the Gas Transporter, a gas safe engineer will only check via what would have been the handle, or if it’s open ended. If the Transporter is involved, they can advise on what to do next.

Is it an old gas pipe? If so would I get a gas safe engineer to cut it down and cap off below floor level? Thanks!

If you call the Transporter (Cadent?) they will visit to do a "dead test". I am 99% sure that this is free visit (ask to check) - especially if you tell them that t is an uncapped Emergency Control Valve (ECV). Supplying that detail may speed the call out response.

The number to call is 0800 111999

Is there a similar pipe on the outside wall?

yep its an old service pipe to the house and cadent will do a live or dead check for free .phone the number fireman put . if you want them out within 1 hour you could say you think you can smell gas from it ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks all. Wales and West coming out tomorrow to do a free dead test. Very efficient! Fingers crossed for dead and I can just rip it out

Thanks all. Wales and West coming out tomorrow to do a free dead test. Very efficient! Fingers crossed for dead and I can just rip it out

You will struggle to have it properly capped off below floor level. Technically, any old gas pipe should be capped, though. Ask the engineer who comes out whether it can be cut to floor level and filled with a sealant (maybe FJC). Whatever you do, do not cut and leave open. if it is open at "the other end", it would be an access route for vermin.

We would all be interested in the result.

My cats would love that. Me, less so. I'm not wanting an old pipe sticking out of my floor, ideally, and the boxing in is awkward behind the door. If it's dead I can hack out that concrete (thin layer over brick) and hopefully cut it down lower. This are will be tiled, eventually. Good tip re filling in with something non-chewable! I'll keep you posted.

You will struggle to have it properly capped off below floor level. Technically, any old gas pipe should be capped, though. Ask the engineer who comes out whether it can be cut to floor level and filled with a sealant (maybe FJC).

Why wouldn't you wind it out with some 24's and put a plug in the elbow under the ground?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back