What is this inside my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I am in the process of redecorating my bedroom and I am looking at ways of routing cables behind the walls. All of the walls apart from one are plasterboard.

So to investigate I cut a hole in one of the smaller walls, and found what seems to be some kind of cardboard lattice behind the plasterboard. Also, at the far edge of the wall there is something metallic showing through.

Could you tell me what they both are please? Pics are below. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My house is contsructed the same way. generally these internal walls are put in after the house is built and as they are lightweight and thinner than a traditional timber stud wall they can be erected very quickly. there is a galvanised steel frame work and the plasterboard sandwich panels are screwed to this with self tapping screws.

It's Paramount partition board.

The metal thing is an edge bead or jointing strip

You wont be able to run cables through it due to the cardboard lattice

The bungalow we used to live in used this wall material, I drilled a 25 mm hole and used drain rods to break through the egg box bits and then pulled a draw wire in.

My cable runs were vertical not horizontal like yours though, but the idea would work, beat knocking great lumps out of the wall,

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thank you to all.

I am seriously thinking of removing this wall and having a more traditional stud wall put up in it's place. It won't cost much and will give me so many more options.

I'm going to have to check the other walls now! :eek:

I would imagine that all of the wall in your property are the same construction. Rather than remove the wall you could batten out and affix another layer of plasterboard. You could even improve sound insulation by incorporating some rockwool bats.

Very true. I will definitely consider that option, although I think it might be fun to destroy the old wall!

Very true. I will definitely consider that option, although I think it might be fun to destroy the old wall!

firstly, using a stanley knife, cut into the angle or abutments where the wall joins the adjacent wall and where it joins the ceiling. this will cut through the scrim join at the corners and reduce damage and make the rip-out easier.

i usually use a reciprocating saw and cut it up in sections. pieces of paramount walling, over three foot square will be quite heavy and unwieldy so chop wisely.

beware of cables. they may drop from the ceiling or be chased up from the floor.

have fun!

I had walls like this in a past house.

To get cable runs through I used a 8mm threaded bar & knocked the heck out of the cardboard in between. slight bends in the bar allowed me to get quite a way.

For long runs I simply cut a small hole (3" square) to enable me to get further, they were then replaced & filled before repainting the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back