What is this on my concrete path?

Sponsored Links
looking at the patching of that concrete, I think you will find out when you dig out that broken gully and drain.

Can you see the DPC in the wall? Where is it, in relation to the concrete? Th path looks to be sloping.

Sponsored Links
What is the DPC?

The whole patio area is sloped, but pretty sure thats down to very poor ground prep when it was done by the landlord.

DPC is the Damp Proof Course, which looks to me in the bottom photo to be 2 courses above the concrete by the drain. Normally 2 courses are the minimum above ground level.

Ah, I see what you mean. That is a bit of an optical illusion. The DPC is the same level all the way round, there is a jut out in the back corner which is why it looks like it changes level. So yes, from the concrete of the pavement it is 2 courses, but as the patio is sloped at the back of the house I can see a 3rd course of brick below the DPC.

3 courses are fine. If there less than 2 there is more of a risk of rain bounce getting the bricks above damp, although in practice there are loads of houses with less than 150mm that don't have any problems.

Not had a problem with it so assuming its ok. Question still remains on what the hell this step is for :LOL:

To direct run off into the drain?
But I agree it's been placed there to trip you up everytime.

Are there any services entering into the building at this point?

It is a pain. The house is a standard 2 storey semi detached. No services at that point of the house or garage. It is almost like it’s a marker or end point for the path as it is against the jut in the brick work at the back corner. There is the jut in the brick work at the front corner but no step.

Attachments

• 4196B8ED-C8B8-48DC-AE9A-D96869FA34FE.jpeg
    4196B8ED-C8B8-48DC-AE9A-D96869FA34FE.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 162

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back