What is this pipe in the drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Any ideas what this pipe could be for in the main sewer in my front garden?

I'm going to be building an extension near but I cant identify what comes out this pipe... or where it goes...

There was a pile of something underneath it that I washed away with a hose. It does look like its dribbling down the wall!

I have flushed all toilets and run the taps in sinks - They come out the lower drain that joins the main run.

Is this a drop shaft with a missing bung? How could I find out? Spray water up there and see if it comes out the bottom part?

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Its most likely the upper section of a Backdrop, to allow rodding/jetting access back up the run, whereas the sewage, rightly falls outside the chamber to discharge from the bottom connection. Not usual practice for them to be capped or bunged off, often find the vertical section is blocked, and the discharge coming from the top, making an unholy mess in the chamber.....

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I squirted the hose up there and it ran out the bottom part so it is clear! The good news is my drains are not as deep as I thought!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back