What is this pushing down through ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has these cocoon like growths pushing their way through the plasterboard ceiling. They are making a hole and 'growing' down through it.

Two were noticed a few weeks ago about a inch and a half long, I pulled them off and they didn't seem to have any substance to them, I thought they might be some sort of moth pupa, and now empty of whatever was inside.

This was what one looked like.

Now another two are 'growing', here is a new one emerging, this time I'll try to keep check on what happens as it grows. I only visit there once a week or so though.

The surprising thing is the way whatever it is can make a hole in the plasterboard and push its way through..

Anyone seen these before or can identify them?

Sponsored Links
Hells bells no idea mate - but I'd sure like to get above that ceiling for a closer look! Its got to be wet up there..... :eek:
John :)

The bathroom is above, though she had it renewed and level access shower fitted only in December, the new flooring is a one piece 'rubber' type, that goes up the wall a couple of inches all round.

I'd be surprised if was leaking, and the ceiling below is dry, no sign of damp.

It does seem to be a coincidence, but whatever is emerging had to come from somewhere, I don't think its mold.

Sponsored Links
Strangest thing I've seen since watching someone remove a 25 year old blackhead on a yahoo link clip last night :eek:

Looks like some sort of fungi growing out of the plaster board ceiling cracks,

You say the room above is a bathroom which has just had a new rubberised floor laid , possibly damp and warmth being sealed in underneath the floor has lead to the fungi breaking through the plasterboard ceiling below.

My guess is that the insulation in the ceiling (now sealed in) is damp/wet and you will probably have a number of these quite soon.

mushroom-bathroom-ceiling.jpg

ceiling.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas, fungi is a possibility.

I should have kept the ones I took off and examined more closely, they seemed more like empty 'cocoons' or 'pupa', like thin dry paper. Though just as likely a dried fungi of some kind.

It wasn't really clear at first they were coming down, we thought something might have attached itself from below and grew that way.

I'll keep checking and see how the new ones grow and what they develop into.

If they don't stop the next thing will be to take a section of plasterboard out from below and see what going on.

Be careful, some of these types of fungi (if it is Fungi) can be hazardous to health, try not to breathe in the spores, if you touch them use protective gloves etc.

Point taken, though if fungi where would the spores have come from?

If some kind of moth, wasp or whatever, it could fly or crawl in, a fungi would have to have dropped the spores there.

There was leak there many years ago about 20 or 30 probably, the ceiling sagged as a result and they had the leaking pipe replaced. When the plumbers where there in December putting the new shower room in I was around quite a few days and we talked about that, they could see the sagged ceiling. I asked if it needed to be replaced and the answer was it was old damage, everywhere was dry now and only replace for cosmetic reasons.

I suppose something could have been growing all that time, and only now that the bathroom floor is sealed is looking for a new way out?

Fungal Spores can remain dormant for years, as much as fifty years in some cases, it depends on the circumstances and how they change.
Wet, Wood and warmth are the ideal growing criteria for fungi.

Is your plaster board evolving into some biological entity, get Mr Darwin down, he should be able to work out from its DNA if it is related to plaster board. :LOL:

That is as weird as there being God, I think we are seeing some proof here! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back