What is this socket? 1930s House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My Partner and I recently completed on a 1930's house which is in need of lots of work. We have come across these sockets on the skirting boards which we have no clue what they're for! Does anyone have any idea?

paste image host

They only seem to be in rooms with chimney breasts.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Possible they are sockets for ( flexible ) gas connections for gas fires that were not permanent fixtures.

Sockets for gas pokers? What leads into them ? Wires or pipes?

Sponsored Links
Possible they are sockets for ( flexible ) gas connections for gas fires that were not permanent fixtures.

Thanks for the help.

Sockets for gas pokers? What leads into them ? Wires or pipes?

It pipes

It was an early post after a very late night!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers everyone I now need to find a way to make them look pretty as I think taking them out would be more hassle.

Also any advice on what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 252
Cheers everyone I now need to find a way to make them look pretty as I think taking them out would be more hassle.

If the gas supply to them is still live then you will have to have the pipe work disconnected and capped off by a GasSafe technician before you do anything with them.

very old 3 pin electric socket which could still be live !!!

Cheers everyone for the great help! I will no doubt have many more questions to come!

reminded me of when my grandmother used to have to plug the electric iron into the ceiling light bulb socket. that's what all the tenants did in the council block of flats .the "coal "man carried sacks of coal ( no lifts) up 3 flights of stairs ,along landings , to all. made Arnie swazz. look like a wimp .think he could have carried his wagon if he felt like !!

reminded me of when my grandmother used to have to plug the electric iron into the ceiling light bulb socket. that's what all the tenants did in the council block of flats .the "coal "man carried sacks of coal ( no lifts) up 3 flights of stairs ,along landings , to all. made Arnie swazz. look like a wimp .think he could have carried his wagon if he felt like !!

Yes, I remember that when I was a young child.

You're right about the old-time coal men too, although in our case they just tipped the coal down a chute into our coal cellar.

Talking of 'he-men', the dustbin men of my childhood years were impressive too, certainly compared to the present-day ones!

I dare say many of the ones who are still alive are confined to wheelchairs now, with spinal damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back