What is this socket? 1930s House

Blimey that's a blast from the past, I remember these as a kid in the 70s

View attachment 120033
The 15A ones are still used in theatrical lighting, but normally rubber Duraplugs.

As we move over to LED lamps, the electrical load has shrivelled away, so I suppose a time will come when they are no longer needed.

Sponsored Links
Blimey that's a blast from the past, I remember these as a kid in the 70s

View attachment 120033

I remember these even more ancient plugs and sockets!
My dad had bought an off-licence shop. It must have been the early 1960s. I'm sure there won't have been many properties with those fittings in the 1960s, but the shop had been owned by a pair of aged sisters who had done virtually nothing in the way of home improvements for many years. For example, when they removed their wall clock there was a hollow space in the shape of a clock within several layers of wallpaper!

Part of the reason 15A is used in theatre is that they have no fuses
When you have 200 lights above you and one goes out, it's better to know that the various extension leads and bars have no fuses. The dimmer pack will trip

Some schools used 5A because of the smaller loads but for the same reason
Tungsten lamps use a room full of dimmers to control levels

Intelligent LED units only need power on/off and use dmx to tell the light to either change colour or level
Ceforms are becoming popular for LEDs to prevent accidents with dimmed power as although you can programme a lighting desk/dimmer to act as a switch, cockups happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back