What is this surface and can I tile directly onto it

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it's in sheet form and it's a stud wall - how thick is the sheet? It's hard to tell, but if it's a sheet and not too thick, it could be asbestos I suppose. Does it look like it's made up of strands?

Asbestos you say? My sphincter has suddenly contracted.

Yeah, it is in sheet form (i.e. not made up of bricks). Is is quite thick as I have pulled out wall plugs from it and they don't go straight through it.

When the wall plugs are pulled out they come out easily (and leave a large hole) so it isn't the strongest material.

Asbestos wouldn't normally be that thick. Could just be old plasterboard that has been painted with bitumen or such like.
PVA the areas where the plaster has come away, skim over with multi finish plaster or one coat plaster, tank the walls then tile. Alternatively, overboard with plasterboard, tank then tile.

Sponsored Links
I thought about plasterboarding the whole thing, unfortunately that encroaches in on the edge of the bath a bit, but is going to be the easiest way. Cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back