What is this switch?

Sponsored Links
It was probably originally supplied by the electricity company.
Its an old safety breaker device. This type have been proved not to be effective in todays wiring environment and you need someone to bring you up to date.
The electricity company will not be interested as it is on your side of the meter.

See that note on the top of the switch - it says something about contacting an electrical contractor if pressing the yellow button does nothing - you should do that!
Try here: www.competentperson.co.uk

Would like to see a pic of the whole incoming bit and the meter and the fuseboard. Before commenting more.

Sponsored Links
This is a voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker which as TTC says won't provide adequate protection even if it were working correctly.

My father was almost killed by an electrical fault when one of these devices failed to operate.

Your electrician should surely have known better than to leave this in place. If you don't have a current operated RCD in your consumer unit, you need to have one fitted either inside the CU or before it, if you have a TT supply. But don't expect your electricity supplier to pay for it.

Maybe you should try getting another electrician who can advise you properly.

thanks for the info, there is an rcd in the consumer unit

also i believe i've got tn-s earth rather than tt, is this the case? you can just see it in the 2nd picture

Possible to get a pic of the consumer unit?

Looks like a TN-S, yup..... what does the certifcate for the work say the Ze is?

(looks like there is only one g/y into the VO-ELCB so its not going to be doing anything!)

Maybe he left it there just as an isolator - need to look at the rest to see if its kosher.

More pics! We love pictures...

Anyone spotted the reason why the ELCB doesn't work yet? ;)

@ OP, it is not the suppliers equipment, it is part of your installation.

I'd be interested to see what the "electrician's" competant persons scheme inspector would make of an installation left like that :rolleyes:

images

Gold star for JohnD :D

Yea - one earth wire, AND ITS NEW :rolleyes:

Come in then, lets have a piccy of the new CU that this 'pro' spark installed!

You have by the looks of it a suitable TN-S system, so there should ideally simply be a split load type board. No need for a main RCD, and certainly no need for the defunct and non-recognised 'Voltage Operated ELCB'.

As part of a TT system, you should not work on an installation if the protection is offered by a Voltage Operated ELCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back