keep your hand behind the blade!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
you're always told to keep your hand behind the blade when cutting, and thats what i tell people too, but i forgot to do it today, and it was only a small nick

PIC_0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at the segs on your hands I assume you did that whilst cross stitching :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Was it a small prick :?:

:LOL: ;)

its less than 10mm across but it bled like hell!

i like to think i am very safety conscious and did it cleaning out the top of a stanley knife with the blade out using a braddle :oops:

Sponsored Links
Good oll stanleys dont you just love em, i went across the tops of three knuckles stripping cable....that hurt, then only a few weeks ago i was opening a bag of coal with a gardening lock knife.....slipped and punched myself in the chin....only i forgot to let go of the knife...three stitches in chin. :oops:

no pics but...

it was 11pm last January, I could feel a draft and discovered that the window was missing a plastic shim under the catch to pull it tight shut. Hmm, I thought - I've got a plank handy, I'll just shave off a piece of wood with my stanley knife and wedge that behind the catch...I was cutting away from myself with one hand on top of the plank but then for some reason I reversed the blade and cut towrds myself.

As could be predicted the piece I was cutting out suddenly came free and the stanley knife went straight into the top side of my index finger about 3/4 of an inch from the knuckle and ran up the bone to the knuckle.

End result I had nearly an inch of finger bone visible including the end of the bone in the knuckle and completely severed the extensor tendon.

Now I don't do any DIY past 7pm...when you're tired you make stupid mistakes.

Oh the joy of youth and stanley knifes. I still bear the scar on my left thumb when I slipped ans severed the nerve. It took months for the nerve to regrow and it was a weird sensation to have no feeling in part of your body for a long time.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me....
A long time ago now I was trimming a piece of plastic with a Stanley knife, towards me. The knife went through the piece and up the inside of my wrist, opening it up like it had been unzipped. At the hospital they thought it was fascinating - they got all the students in to have a look, and got me to wiggle each finger while they named each tendon they could see moving. :eek:

I've injured myself so many times now I find it almost amusing :/

Wrists, head, leg, arms.... oddly, most of them weren't down to lack of safety equipment.

Ah so this is why our company insists we use gay safety knives.

redsafety.jpg

Only with EVEN LESS blade exposed. Only to be used when cutting tape and plastic wrap on boxes.

Worked in a rubber factory a few years ago, making mudflaps (deep joy!). We were issued with Stanley knives, carefully embossed at one end of the handle "caution, sharp edge"! No s**t Sherlock!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back