What is this valve and why is it leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This valve is coming from one of the pipes that go directly up into my Valiant Ecotec boiler.

It is dripping water, filling that green bowl every 6 hours or so.

I assume its a pressure relief valve? But the pressure is not any higher than it always is - The boiler is working fine and pressure is 1.7bar, which is the same as always.

Attachments

• 2021-01-22 09.41.12 (Large).jpg
    2021-01-22 09.41.12 (Large).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Be very careful if you do not know what you are doing. As said it is a drain down valve. Taking it apart to replace the washer could result in a flood especially if you keep the pressure on the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Be very careful if you do not know what you are doing. As said it is a drain down valve. Taking it apart to replace the washer could result in a flood especially if you keep the pressure on the boiler.

Thanks, I wouldn't attempt taking it apart - if tightening it up doesn't work I would get someone in to replace it. I'm an 'easy fix = DIY but dismantle/reassemble = call the pro's' type of guy when it comes to boilers.

But it looks like just tightening it has worked for now - no more dripping.

The boiler was serviced about 3 weeks ago so perhaps the engineer just didn't tighten it back up fully after he did what he needed to with the valve.