What is this valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post time :D

I wonder if anyone could help me to identify this valve:

It is fitted to 28mm pipework just above an old Potterton Netaheat boiler.

It used to leak (hence the limescale!) but hasn't done so for a while.

I assume it's some kind of air release valve, but can't find any reference to anything that looks like it.

Can it be replaced? What are the chances of cleaning it up and making it function again?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like 28mm Tee with a cap on the right.

Replace it with a 28mm coupling.

There is some kind of valve within the branch of the tee. There are holes all round the circumference of the branch between the pipework and the cap. Ever since the fitting stopped leaking/working, we've had trouble with air in the boiler.

Definitely a pressure relief valve of some sort, must be there for a reason.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
First post time :D

I wonder if anyone could help me to identify this valve:

Can it be replaced? What are the chances of cleaning it up and making it function again?

It is a spring loaded adjustable safety relief valve, it used to be standard practice to fit these to avoid pressure build up in old heating systems, for instance, if the vent and feed from the expansion pipe froze etc. They are now obsolete and can be discarded. There is no connection with this valve allowing air into the system.

spraggo

Thanks Spraggo! The positioning of the valve didn't seem quite right for an air release valve :confused:

Do you think there's a chance it could be restricting the flow from/to the boiler - ie would it be a good idea to discard it, or is it best to leave well alone!?

I cannot see any way that this valve could restrict the flow. If it is not leaking I would leave well alone.

Regard spraggo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back