What is this??

Sponsored Links
Or an old well filled in with rubbish.

Any evidence of an iron hand pump nearby or any iron clips built into the walls as evidence of a dropper pipe, or step irons?

Really? I was thinking more cess pit or well. If its a cess pit I will fill it in (which someone seems to have already started). If its a well I will put a top on it to make it a feature.

Sponsored Links
if there are any experts out there I would love to know if this is a cesspit or a well - My guess in cesspit because of the manhole cover in close proximity but next door have a well in their garden (although that is an 18th century house) - and I don't know what either look like.

Clear the rubbish out and have a taste of the water at the bottom, you'll soon know the difference :LOL:

My money would be on a cesspit. A well would be vertical from the top straight down, whereas a cesspit would be wider with a domed roof to access shaft in the centre.

Certainly some craftmanship in the brickwork, still quite a few about and in use, although their capacity is somewhat limited for modern living.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back