What kind of curtains to save energy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home uses roller blinds and I would like to change to curtains which would, I think, save energy loss through the windows. A friend advises me that curtains with eyelets, hanging from a pole, would be less effective than the older style with curtain hooks on a flat plastic rail because those would keep the curtains closer to the wall. However, thick, heavy curtains - which would be the best kind - are all with eyelets not hooks. Can anyone advise me?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't make much difference, some curtains claim thermal reflective properties, but its really just about reducing the circulation of air between the curtain and the window. At best the curtain will improve the heat loss through the window by about 10%. Another option is to build a secondary glazing unit if you don't already have double glazing.

It doesn't make much difference, some curtains claim thermal reflective properties, but its really just about reducing the circulation of air between the curtain and the window. At best the curtain will improve the heat loss through the window by about 10%. Another option is to build a secondary glazing unit if you don't already have double glazing.
Thanks for that. I've not been able to find even a rough estimate for how much heat loss would be prevented by replacing my roller blinds with curtains. 10% would mean it would take some years to recoup. A brief search online produces figures up to 25% but I suspect it's dependent on the curtain materials.

You have your answer then.

A pair of thermal curtains (they have a thermally insulating layer (probably foil like) to keep the heat in can be obtained at most retail outlets, if you can get them that is :)
The Range, Dunelm, John Lewis etc.

How good they are is dependent upon which sales info you read :)

You can make your own using some heavy material, & lining it - perhaps putting some of the foil sheets you can get to keep you warm when out walking etc. may help with the insulation.
Yes keeping them as close to the wall by not having a pole helps, I have one of the old fashioned boxes over my bedroom curtains - mainly to keep light out but it can help with the heat too.

Secondary glazing might help too - either the type you use a hairdryer on or something more permanent.

Sponsored Links
I changed the curtains in our living room and bedroom from IKEA blackout curtains to blackout/thermal curtains from Dunelm, it made a noticeable difference last winter. Probably due to the weight and if it's got something inside as mattylad has said.

I have one of the old fashioned boxes over my bedroom curtains - mainly to keep light out but it can help with the heat too.
Pelmet?

I agree a rail, will be much better than a pole - the tighter the curtain to the wall, the better. Idea should be to restrict cold air flow down the back of the curtains.

Back when we had single glazing and sometime after our first lot of DG, we had heavy curtains which were lined and claimed to be thermal. In fact were only disposed of maybe a couple of years ago, after sitting unused for a couple of decades.

Yes that's the word.. A pelmet, it was in keeping when we moved in but the wife now hates it looking old & dark.

I won't remove it as it's cut into the coving and ICBA replace that.

I have several sets of secondary double glazing kits purchased by a colleague at knockdown prices when Payless DIY closed many many moons ago and then given to me because he was fed up of them being in his shed.
Now I keep them in the cellar for the day the wife finally agrees to let me fit them and keep some heat in, all I need is the glass panels.

They also help with sound reduction, being on a busy main road that's handy - but she wants to allow the no1 dog to look out of the window :(

The best is thermal curtains.

Yes, but even so the thermal curtains need to be able to form an effective seal, either onto the sill, or the floor, plus if possible at the top too, to try to limit the cold air circulating. Maybe why pelmets were once fashionable?

Not saying they should. Some of the most satisfying work I have done has been on listed buildings (including some 1930s classics), and I am rather partial to a lot of Art Deco/machine modern style stuff. The last time I installed pelmets though, was over 20 years ago, but maybe they'll make a comeback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back