What kind of electric shocks can i expect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a plumber for about 1.5 years now, learning on site with my dad's company.

Some times i do simple electrics, for appliances, central heating and lighting

i've had a few close calls, but no shocks yet

i understand some are worse than others, like if your body completes a circuit

what the worse ones to look out for?

Sponsored Links
You need to have a rethink!

For one thing, the The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 take effect when you're (guess what) working with electricity. You have a legally enforecable duty to prevent danger arising, and that includes danger to yourself.

Also, the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires you to secure "the health, safety and welfare of persons at work, for protecting others against risks to health or safety in connection with the activities of persons at work".

To answer your question more directly, the wetter you are, and the higher the voltage, the greater the hazard.

The main principle is not to work on a live circuit. Before considering touching any conductor or terminal, you should 'test for dead', and you need to test in such a way that the possibility of the test equipment being faulty is negligible. Any isolating switch, that you are depending on being open, should be locked to prevent it being switched on inadvertently.

The worst electric shock you should ever experience is that if you leave an electric shower running for a few hours you get big electric bill afterwards

Sponsored Links
all the above could cause death or serious injury.please follow correct isolation procedures and get a sign to hang from the fuseboard to let people know you are working on circuits and they havent just tripped

WRONG! You should always lock off...If you don't, even with a sign, you may suddenly find yourself energised...

LockedOff.jpg

LockedOff.jpg
[/quote]

Secure spark is that your lock,
What make is it please and do you know where you get them
I can only get the plastic ones and want one of those.
We do petrol stations and they are hot on that, rightly so
Thank you

Wylex make them...

Part number MCBLDX. Comes without padlock.

I've been a plumber for about 1.5 years now, learning on site with my dad's company.

I think the "Westinghouse Chair" type are the worst...Avoid those at all costs...Just dont go on a murder spree in the southern states of the USA
Seriousely ...if you do get a 240v blast then a whole second is a very long time and potentially fatal
good luck ...I can see you are "dying" to try ... :LOL:

This has got to be another sad pathetic wind-up attempt, from another sad and pathetic dysfunctional loser with zero self-esteem.

A severe one - with your degree of experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back