What kind of filling or materials do I need for this type of gap between stair stringer and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There’s a big gap between the stair stringer and wall, where I can now see my bricks and outside my house. What should I use to fill this gap in. Also if it helps, some cement that has come off has fallen in between the gap of the stair and walls, so there must be some space there too. Please help!

Attachments

• 644F31DF-E500-45F2-B825-CD60EC916AA1.jpeg
    644F31DF-E500-45F2-B825-CD60EC916AA1.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 418
Sponsored Links
It could be a good idea to have the plaster made good between the stringer and the wall, before using a length of timber moulding pinned on to make it look neat......just an option before chucking a load of filler in.
John :)

I've found some very interesting newspapers between gaps like that over the years.

Expanding foam/insulation and plaster or a timber cover strip

But you need to sort that air brick out. Where is it venting to, where is the liner?

Sponsored Links
Thankyou so much for all the replies.

I’m not sure where the air brick is venting to, but it’s at the top of my stairs. There’s no vent at the top of my stairs as it was just covered by the plaster. I didn’t think it’d be venting for the underfloor as it’s too high up, so really unsure what it’s venting to.

If your picture is of the top stair riser and the landing edge then the air brick is probably trying to vent under your upstairs floor.
Can you post a shot from further away to put it in context?

I’ve used foam to cover the gap. You’re probably right, the air brick is probably venting to the upstairs underfloor. Good thing I didn’t block off the air brick.

Thanks so much everyone for your help

Upper floors are not ventilated.

The air brick would either be ventilating a wall cavity - in which case you would not see it from the inside, or the cubby hole under the stairs in which case it needs a wall liner.

Upper floors are not ventilated.

The air brick would either be ventilating a wall cavity - in which case you would not see it from the inside, or the cubby hole under the stairs in which case it needs a wall liner.

I find that strange. My old house in Liverpool, (built around 1945/46 had 2 air bricks in the front and 2 at the back which definitely ventilated under the upper floors. I discovered this when I ripped down the ceilings in the 2 lounges and could see right through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back