2cm gap in staircase stringer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hope you can help with some ideas. There's a 2cm gap between the wall and the stringer at the foot of the stairs which gradually to 0 at the top. I'm wondering how I can make this look acceptable. I don't think I can use beading or trim as the stringer curves at the top (unless there's a very thing flexible one?). I've raked out the silicone sealant that was there previously and want to find a decent long term solution so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Stringer1.jpg
Stringer2.jpg
Stringer3.jpg
Stringer4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I found some 4mm wood trim which had enough flex in it. Rather than cut the wood down I cut into the plaster and used panel pins to attach it to the stringer. I then taped some masking tape to it and filled the gap first with expanding flexible foam then finished off with filler. When it was dry and sanded I removed the masking tape leaving a hairline between the filler and the trim which I hope will mean the filler won't crack. I've not finished it yet so I'll see how it goes before I paint it. Work in progress photos attached.
Stringer 1a.jpg
Stringer2a.jpg

Attachments

• Stringer3.jpg
    Stringer3.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Stringer2a.jpg
    Stringer2a.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 258

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back