What kind of sealant I need to fill asphalt to brick cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have these horizontal asphalt valley that runs on the two side of my roof. The valley itself is in good condition, however the joint with the parapet brick wall has cracked and the asphalt has pulled back a little. This has lead to some small leak down the parapet wall onto the ceiling below.

I'm looking for some sort of very flowing/runny sealant that can seal the leak properly inside before repointing on the outside. What sort of sealant should I be looking for? Most sealant I know are quite thick/viscous.

Hope you can help!

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    580.2 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
The Asphalt should be dressed up the wall and into the brick joint. Then pointed as yours is. Simply knock the mortar out and point tightly.

The Asphalt should be dressed up the wall and into the brick joint. Then pointed as yours is. Simply knock the mortar out and point tightly.

Hi Datarebal,

Yes the asphalt is dressed about 15cm up the wall. But the bond is so strong, when the asphalt shrank, it broke up the brick as you can see. The pointing itself is not deteriorating, but the crack is more due to the movement of the asphalt (I think).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back