What kind of trade Agreement do you want with EU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clarify:
Access to single market means free unfettered, unrestricted, tariff-free bilateral trade.
Trade agreement means specific, defined areas of trade with possible restrictions, limitations and controls.
WTO means tariff, restricted, limited, controlled trade.

Norway, have access to single market. Switzerland has a defined limited access to single market. Both have to recognise four freedoms.

Canada, Australia have a trade agreement.

All other countries without trade agreement or access to single market have to recognise WTO rules.

My preference is for access to single market. It'll mean we'll pay into EU, trade with EU, recognise four freedoms. In fact, just like now, except we won't be at the table/parliament/commission to decide on rules, etc.

Sponsored Links
OK here's my Brexit plan:
Let Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar remain in the EU. That keeps them happy and solves the Irish and Gibraltan land borders which can remain open as usual.
Obviously we don't want border checkpoints at the Scottish border, so we instead do full immigration checks at all British ports and airports. Basically immigration control would encircle only the island of Britain: the infrastructure is already there of course. Yes, that will be a bit of a fag for people travelling between EU Scotland and the rest of the EU, but it's a minor inconvenience for a relatively small number of travellers, most of whom carried passports before Brexit anyway.
A fee will have to be paid by the UK to the EU for membership of those regions, of which a portion will be returned in the form of grants to those regions, as per usual. Yes, English taxpayers would be subsidising Irish membership, but I think we can put up with that.
Whether England/Wales decides to join the free trade area is open to discussion. If we don't, we could end up with tariffs between England and Scotland/Ireland. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that a special dispensation for reduced tariffs could be agreed with the EU, since they are small countries and members the Union. England might even become a back door for the rest of the World to trade into the EU at a reduced rate via the Sottish border. Kinda like California is for the US. Yes, the EU isn't going to like a back door, but it's a very small border... Or we could just suck it up and join the free trade area, cancel the immigration checks and just enjoy the lower membership fee.

I think this plan has the potential to pi$$ off the least number of people :LOL:
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/outists-position-becoming-clearer.461956/page-2#ixzz4DQQJGsUj

Just to clarify:

My preference is for access to single market. It'll mean we'll pay into EU, trade with EU, recognise four freedoms. In fact, just like now, except we won't be at the table/parliament/commission to decide on rules, etc.

And it'll cost more, cos the rebate will be gone. That's the one we'll get.

OK here's my Brexit plan:
Let Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar remain in the EU. That keeps them happy and solves the Irish and Gibraltan land borders which can remain open as usual.
Obviously we don't want border checkpoints at the Scottish border, so we instead do full immigration checks at all British ports and airports. Basically immigration control would encircle only the island of Britain: the infrastructure is already there of course. Yes, that will be a bit of a fag for people travelling between EU Scotland and the rest of the EU, but it's a minor inconvenience for a relatively small number of travellers, most of whom carried passports before Brexit anyway.
A fee will have to be paid by the UK to the EU for membership of those regions, of which a portion will be returned in the form of grants to those regions, as per usual. Yes, English taxpayers would be subsidising Irish membership, but I think we can put up with that.
Whether England/Wales decides to join the free trade area is open to discussion. If we don't, we could end up with tariffs between England and Scotland/Ireland. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that a special dispensation for reduced tariffs could be agreed with the EU, since they are small countries and members the Union. England might even become a back door for the rest of the World to trade into the EU at a reduced rate via the Sottish border. Kinda like California is for the US. Yes, the EU isn't going to like a back door, but it's a very small border... Or we could just suck it up and join the free trade area, cancel the immigration checks and just enjoy the lower membership fee.

I think this plan has the potential to pi$$ off the least number of people :LOL:
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/outists-position-becoming-clearer.461956/page-2#ixzz4DQQJGsUj
The EU has already ruled out your idea. There is no such provision for a member state to have part of that state in EU, and part out.
For NI, Scotland, Gibraltar to be in EU they have to be independent of UK.
The loss of the NI/Gibraltar borders will be compensated for by the new Scottish border.
The rest, about tariffs between Scotland and England is therefore off the table.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify:

And it'll cost more, cos the rebate will be gone. That's the one we'll get.
And any EU financing/grants/subsidies to organisations and areas.
We'll also be worse off because the recent concessions agreed by Cameron are now off the table.

The EU has already ruled out your idea. There is no such provision for a member state to have part of that state in EU, and part out.
Is it actually forbidden by the EU, or just never been done before?
What about the Guernsey, we kinda own that, but it's not in the EU?

Hmm... what about the Guernsey, we kinda own them, but they're not in he EU?
The Channel Islands have a weird agreement with the EU all of their own. They are not a British Overseas Territory.
Please enlighten us about Greenland.

Last edited:
Back