What makes a door internal/external?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a hardwood door as a replacment for a garge pedestrian access door and im wondering what classifies a door as internal or external.

Something to do with the construction?

Initially i thought any hardwood door should be good for external use but maybe not?

Sponsored Links
External doors are generally 44mm thick, and internal doors 35mm

Internal doors are generally very flimsy, and may contain materials such as chipboard hidden under the veneer.

Lift a few up and you will notice the difference.

External doors are generally 44mm thick, and internal doors 35mm
In modern apartment housing it's becoming more common to find 51mm for externals (1 hour fire rated in, say, a block of flats with a communal entrance) and 44mm solid core internals. Whilst externals used to be solid wood or veneer-faced and edge lipped laminboard (strips of hardwood glued together) other core materials for exterior wooden doors are appearing such as MR chipboard and Accoya MDF

I wouldn't call a 44mm internal 30 minute fire rated door flimsy, either - try kicking your way through one and you'll see what I mean!

I agree that weight is a really good indicator of sound proofing properties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back