what makes snow white

Does that mean that when you buy some black paint you're paying for a tin of nothing.

you can't actually buy black paint..
you are buying a very very very dark shade of another colour..
if it was truely black then you would not be able to see the surface because it would not reflect ANY light..

Sponsored Links
the percentage of black in the universe is 99.9% even more if i new my sums, so light and colour only exist because of stars, if there where no star light this equals no colour but atoms would be still there on such planets and moons but no colour just surrounded in blackness.
but why do cratures deep in the sea where light has never been have colour answer because they have atoms, but without the light they have no colour.

the percentage of black in the universe is 99.9% even more if i new my sums, so light and colour only exist because of stars, if there where no star light this equals no colour but atoms would be still there on such planets and moons but no colour just surrounded in blackness.
but why do cratures deep in the sea where light has never been have colour answer because they have atoms, but without the light they have no colour.
So if you're so knowledgeable, why did you ask the question?

if it was truely black then you would not be able to see the surface because it would not reflect ANY light..

Does that mean I'd be able to see through it to the bottom of the tin.

Sponsored Links

Does that mean I'd be able to see through it to the bottom of the tin.

Of course you would see the surface, as your eyes would recognise the absence of all colour, you would see pure black.

Plus as paint is a liquid it would reflect light, as water does.

Of course you would see the surface, as your eyes would recognise the absence of all colour, you would see pure black.

Plus as paint is a liquid it would reflect light, as water does.

but that's the point.. it can only ever be true black if it reflects NO light.. so there must be an absence of matter that reflects the light..

Light is an electromagnetic wave in the "Visible" part of the spectrum.
675px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png

Snow looks white because it does not absorb light of any wavelength in the visible spectrum it reflects it all which makes it look white. Black paint is black because it absorbs all light wavelengths in the visible spectrum and reflects none.

Part of the reason that stealth planes are invisible to Radar is that their paint absorbs the electromagnetic wave at the wavelength used for radar systems.

The universe is beige:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2013-the-universe-is-not-turquoise--its-beige.html

Water is blue, and with the scattering of light when it is in snow form, it appears white.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water

And:
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/5C.html
From the surface, snow and ice present a uniformly white face. This is because almost all of the visible light striking the snow or ice surface is reflected back, without any preference for a single color within the visible spectrum.

Sponsored Links
Back