What material is this? Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

We've just found these materials in our (rented) house. We're wondering what they are, and concerned that they might be asbestos.

Could someone please either reassure us, or confirm our fears?

IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3414.JPG

Sponsored Links
The brown one seems to be particle board, and harmless.....the second one could be a cemented asbestos sheet called asbestolux, but it's shinier composition could indicate Supalux which replaced the original stuff.
There are many posts concerning this and how it can be tested, because no one can be certain.
Is it around a warm air heating unit or similar?
Either way I wouldn't panic about it, it should be stable and dust free.
John :)

Thanks Now we have your reply we can google images etc.

What we have appears to be fine-grained, like supalux. Images I've found of abestolux seem to show a coarser surface. E.g. the images here: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-this-asbestos.414106/

It was mainly the brown product we were concerned about. There's a lot of that, and it's shedding.

They are both in an airing cupboard which used to have a copper hot water tank in it, but it now has a recent boiler.

Sponsored Links
Another one of my wacky suggestions is to ask the landlord.

The first image is hardboard with no asbestos. The second image has potential, and it's common for AIB to be used in that location. AIB is the more risky form of asbestos board.

Landlord is useless. When a plumber found and confirmed asbestos before, the landlord thought it funny that we were concerned.

Claims for PI and compensation for contaminated possessions aren't funny.

Nor are HSE investigations for putting workers at risk to exposure due to lack of sufficient asbestos surveys.

afaik the earliest record of asbestos use was in ancient Greece were they actually made table clothes out of it , when it became stained or dirty they put it on a fire & than shook em out (asbestosis ingreece 2000 years ago ?)

It should also be noted that asbestos was also used in certain artex finishes !!!!

used for the manufacture of roof tanks/ cisterns , plenty still out there , toilet cisterns , guttering , soil pipes, roofing sheets

used in the manufacture of vinyl floor tiles ect ect

wives of certain tradesman have contracted asbestosis by shaking out there husbands over all's/ work clothes prior to putting them in a washing machine
there husbands had come into contact with asbestos in there work place.

there is or was a fella in the CC forum who was diagnosed with asbestosis. I know of at least 6 people that have died from the disease & 3 people that have been diagnosed with it

any one thinking about fiddeling around with certain older boilers needs to tread a careful path , there is a published list (afaik) of boilers known to have been manufactured with asbestos.

blue asbestos (the worst) was used in powder form in some twin wall flue pipes as insulation

Sponsored Links
Back