Broken material in road

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've noticed a small amount of broken material on the road outside our house which someone suggested might be asbestos cement board. It does look consistent with that but there are only a few small increasingly broken (I assume as cars drive over them) pieces - no more than a beer mats worth in total. Given the above and that kids play in the road, we're just looking for some advice on what to do about it. Should we sweep it up, phone the council (seems a bit extreme), leave it or something else?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the amount is as small as a beer mat, pour water over it, sweep it up and bag it - then bin it

Ok, thanks. How much of a problem would it be if I was unable to do that until the weekend? It's not a busy road but I guess it will get more broken up over the next few days. It's just that I may not get a chance to sweep it up immediately due to work. How much of a problem is it? I guess I should have removed it when we first spotted it at the weekend just gone! Not sure how it got there either!

Sponsored Links
Too be honest, if you can't find 5 minutes between now and next weekend/you're prepared to leave it there for 7 days then you can't be too worried about it.

Tell the kids not to go anywhere near any of the toxic substances washed down into the road gutter. Oh and make sure the kids wear dust masks at all times to protect them from the asbestos dust given off the older car brakes.

Honestly!:rolleyes:

Ok, thanks. Sounds like it's nothing to worry about then.

The only reason I potentially couldn't clear it up before the weekend was because I may not be back there again until then - due to work.

When there's something weird
In the neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?

Aman.jpg

Report it to highways, make them aware that it may be asbestos, it will be dealt with. Don't complain when you council tax increases.

It's hard tell what's genuine advice here and what is sarcasm! To be honest, I prefer the responses that were clearly one or the other as, at least, they either suggested what to to do or implied I being an idiot about it. I probably am but if you Google it then it's easy to end up concerned!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back