what material used to cover wall like an art gallery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a material of some sort to cover an artificial wall and make it look nice & cosy like done in some art gallerys.

I cannot find anywhere for this type of application - any advise would be greatly appreciated..?

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking MDF wood for the box frame.

But this won't be a very pretty or professional look. I want to wrap some sort of material round and have some corner buts to make it look nice.

An art gallery in my city has there walls coated in a blue material which looks really nice!

I wan't to acheive something like this, but not sure what material to us...?

Not sure how cork would help...?

The question is far too vague, since there are countless different materials and finishes you can achieve.

Particularly for an art gallery, where they'll be going crazy on the finishes - they could be using old plastic shopping bags, wool or pretty much anything.

I don't see how blue is warm and cozy, unless you mean baby aqua or something like that. Blue is the universal cold colour. Blue ice / icey blue water / feeling blue / the blues.....

You need to specify what you're after more. Or show pictures of something similar.

You're also not saying what you mean by cover. You mean as a mechanical layer that looks good, or a decorative coating over it?

Generally, you'll probably want to use plasterboard to cover the wall, then put something nice over that.

All the fittings and methods of working with walls are biased towards plasterboard, and the material maintains fire ratings. For example, if you made a dividing wall out of plastic in a public art gallery, building control would probably have a complain that a fire is going to go straight through it, and tell you to take it back down and fix it before they'll sign the place off as safe for the public.

Cork is warm and cozy looking, it also looks artistic and organic, and is actually a semi-decent insulator.

I'm not trying to get at you, but MOAR details or an example are needed. Then I might be able to suggest a specific way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks -- i'm not too sure how to explain what I am trying to acheive.

I want a sort of fabric material. Colour irrelevent at the moment I guess. I am not after anything funky, like with plastic bags.
Something like carpet material - although obviously not carept since it would probably be quite thick and maybe too heavy (?)

I will try find some pictures that will help me explain it.

There are carpets that are thin enough to look okay on walls.

I have been in a fancy hotel in Amsterdam where they went the other way and used a REALLY heavy carpet like material for strategic patches on the wall, a brown flock. That looked good and unique, and felt nice to touch.

There are also sewing / crafting / fabric stores that carry huge ranges of fabrics you could get a first hand look at.

One picture or more would help a lot.

Find a supplier of fabrics for the display and conference set industry. I suspect that you are looking at either display felt or loop nylon. One supplier is Buildbase who have depots in several places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back