what materials do i need to buy for pond and lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to you all.
I want to install a pond and pump and two lamp post lights in my garden.
I have bought armoured cable(could do with some re assurance from someone in the know re; the type required...to see if it matches mine!)
Also i have bought an Mk rcd double outdoor socket and a 3 way weatherproof switch so i can use the two lights and pond pump seperately.
Do i need anything else to save money before i get an electrician to install it all,so i only have to pay labour costs.
I ask this,because the core (L,N,E) of the armoured cable is too big to fit in the terminals/connectors inside the 3 way outdoor switch,should the supply was to be powered directly from the back of the rcd socket.(I know its only rcd protected from the front)
Also, i may have wasted money on that rcd socket as the interior sockets from which it would spur from is already rcd protected,looking at my fuse box.Which if this is right...i would be happy about as i didn`t want to permanently have a plug in the outdoor socket anyway to power the 3 way switch.
Any good,easy to understand advise on materials needed would be appreciated.
Many Thanks...Chris

Sponsored Links
Hello to you all.
I want to install a pond and pump and two lamp post lights in my garden.
I have bought armoured cable(could do with some re assurance from someone in the know re; the type required...to see if it matches mine!)
The type required depends on the load it has to carry, the length of the run, and how/where it will be installed.

You've left it a bit late to be trying to learn how to design circuits...

Also i have bought an Mk rcd double outdoor socket and a 3 way weatherproof switch so i can use the two lights and pond pump seperately.
Where do you propose to get the supply for these items from, and how do you foresee them being connected?

Do i need anything else to save money before i get an electrician to install it all,so i only have to pay labour costs.
Yes - you need a bit more thinking. Your electrician will charge on the basis of one of these:

1) Materials at cost, and charges for his labour. So as you'll have paid more than he would have done for the materials you won't save money.

2) A markup on the materials, and charges for his labour. If you deny him the former he will simply make up the difference by increasing the latter. So as you'll have paid more than he would have done for the materials you won't save money.

I ask this,because the core (L,N,E) of the armoured cable is too big to fit in the terminals/connectors inside the 3 way outdoor switch,
Then it can't be used. And also, is there room to gland 4 armoured cables in the switch enclosure?

should the supply was to be powered directly from the back of the rcd socket.(I know its only rcd protected from the front)
But you know it isn't...

Also, i may have wasted money on that rcd socket as the interior sockets from which it would spur from is already rcd protected
Yes you've wasted money.

Any good,easy to understand advise on materials needed would be appreciated.
This advise is both good and easy to understand:

Cut your losses on the inappropriate materials you've bought and hand the whole job over to an electrician.

There are 3 glands coming off the 3 way switch to power the pump and two lights.
Re; armoured cable..The pond pump will be 8 meters from source of power.
The power supply would be taken from the circuit/socket in the conservatory,by drilling a hole through to outside,to where the weatherproof rcd double socket will be,hopefull.
The socket inside is rcd protected looking at the fusebox(it`s labelled as such anyway)
I guess i could connect the 3way switch from the new rcd outside socket by just putting a plug on the feed to it,and plug it in.
Thanks.

There are 3 glands coming off the 3 way switch to power the pump and two lights.
If you mean what I think you do those are compression glands not SWA, and therefore unsuitable for your cable.

Plus you need 4 glands, not 3.

Re; armoured cable..The pond pump will be 8 meters from source of power.
Can you terminate SWA into the pump?

I guess i could connect the 3way switch from the new rcd outside socket by just putting a plug on the feed to it,and plug it in.
1) You need to replace that socket with a non-RCD one.

2) What type of cable do you plan to use to supply the switch?

You really need to get your electrician lined up, and ask him to make the decisions - the more you plough on the more you risk wasting money.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ban- all - sheds for your help.
Can you tell me why i would have to replace the outside MK rcd socket i`ve bought for a non rcd one,if i were to plug the 3 way out door switch in that by just putting a conventional plug on it as a feed?
I thought this may give even more protection from shock etc.
Cheers..Chris

You've already got RCD protection on that circuit, so not only do you not need an RCD socket, fitting one would contravene the wiring regulations as then you'd have 2 with the same sensitivity in series and there wouldn't be the necessary discrimination between them, so you wouldn't/shouldn't get an electrician prepared to do it.

Edited for spelnilg misteak

Thanks again Ban-All-Sheds.
So, To terminate the armoured cable into the pump,i will go and buy a junction box for that,i guess,and route into the 3 way switch i`ve got,then to my pumps and two lights.
Hopefully you can advise on a junction bos i need to buy.
I will put the rcd double socket on ebay then! Then get electrician to do half hours work as i`ll do the digging etc
Cheers...Chris

To terminate the armoured cable into the pump,

Do you realise that most domestic pumps come complete with 10m of cable. which means you can not terminate your own cable into the pump. Domestic pond pumps are usually resin sealed to prevent water ingress.

You should terminate the pump cable into the "3 way switch box" you have

I would like to ask, if you have a 3 way switch box, 2 garden lights, 1 pond pump, where are you going to connect the UV to? Or do you not know about / what is a UV? (Dont worry, if you dont know, you just dont know, we all had to learn somewhere)

Thanks again Ban-All-Sheds.
So, To terminate the armoured cable into the pump,i will go and buy a junction box for that,i guess,and route into the 3 way switch i`ve got,then to my pumps and two lights.
I'd love to see a diagram explaining that - it makes no sense to me.

But it certainly doesn't deal with what I meant. OK - I didn't know about pumps, never had to deal with one, so my question is redundant but what I meant at the time was how would you get a SWA gland into the pump if you were planning to supply it via armoured cable?

See info on SWA installation here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-gland

Hopefully you can advise on a junction bos i need to buy.
FGS get your electrician to advise you!

Then get electrician to do half hours work as i`ll do the digging etc
Cheers...Chris
Do you know the rules for burying cable?

Has your electrician OK'd your route, the depth and the preparation of the trench?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back