What method do you guys use to water down emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title guys, i know it may sound silly but do you guys mix the paint and water in a different bucket or what?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro, but I find it impossible to mix in the tub, as there is no room for the water, plus you have to stir it thoughly and it slops out.

Much easier to do in a half-full paint kettle.

If you have two tubs and can pour it from one to the other after mixing you can make sure it has been well-mixed and there is nothing stuck to the bottom

If it is a coloured paint it is especially important to mix thoroughly or the pigment may sink to the bottom and the colour will not be right.

John thats exactly what i was thinkin whether there is enough space for the water.

Also would the pigment not eventually sink anyway?

it varies, but I think the more water you've put in the more you have to keep stirring it. You will be able to tell by the feel of the brush as it goes on.

Maybe a cheap blender?

100-2198F_C.jpg

Sponsored Links
for paint it looks a bit big. Maybe use that to start with, then leave your special Stirring Stick in the can and give it a twirl every time you dip the brush in?

Well the instruction do specify its purposes as being for paint, cement, plaster etc.

Bare in mind I am going to be purchasing a large paint bucket not just a small one

I bet you've got a Special Stick for stirring paint, haven't you?

Oh yes...especially when its in a 15 litre tub...:cool:

There's a lot of paint thinning going on around here.

Just lined and emulsioned 3 bedrooms with 2 coats emulsion. If I'd have thinned it, it wouldn't have covered and I'd still be there clowning around with emulsion that's not fit for purpose.

It doesn't always have to be thinned but the general discussion around here gives the impression that it does.

Thats very true Grolwer as i have some very old members on here that keep telling me that for the best finish i need to add two mist coats and one fine coat.

Also another question, what would be the real benefit of lining paper? I mean i have straight freshly plastered walls, would i need it?

cheers

John as in my last post, what is the real benefit of lining paper and would you use it on newly plastered walls?

I'm not the best person to ask.

I can do plaster patching and painting, not much good at wallpapering and so I have always avoided lining paper. I use a wide metal scraper on plaster repairs and generally achieve a good surface.

Lining paper is generally used to cover defects in a wall. You can paint it or paper over it.

I would only paint new plaster, as paper interferes with its drying-out, and any efflorescence would push it off.

I am a householder not a decorator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back