What method do you guys use to water down emulsion

aah yeah i was thinking it was to hide defects and reduce the need for rectifying the walls all over.

Btw since you mention working on sorting walls out, i was goin to ask you regarding easi fill on plaster. Would Easi Fill or Joint filler bond to a freshly plastered wall?

Sponsored Links
IIRC Joe90 recently recommended the readimixed joint filler for spotting, but I have not used it myself yet. I usually use Finish Plaster and scrape it before fully set.

Thats very true Grolwer as i have some very old members on here that keep telling me that for the best finish i need to add two mist coats and one fine coat.

Also another question, what would be the real benefit of lining paper? I mean i have straight freshly plastered walls, would i need it?

cheers

There can only be one mist coat...hence the name, sometimes you can get away with one mist and one other..be it slightly thinned or not..other times toy cant.

Plus it depends on the paint too..some brandss need thinning more than others..and depending on the type of paint it is too...like there is less suction from vinyl matt than contract matt..so it tends to flow better..I wouldnt like to use supermatt neat over a non vinyl mist coat..the wall will look like its been artexed!

As for lining...I cant see the point of lining a new plaster wall and then painting it...but if I was papering them then yes, iid rather line in case there were any suction or shirkage problems..id rather be in the lining then in the finish paper.

The only time I would ling bar plaster would be if the customer wanted a silk finish...which can look awful on fresh plaster.

So Zampa, you would recommend 2 coats i.e. one mist coat and one fine coat?

I just want pure white looking walls and want to use the best paint out there. Likewise what paint would you recommend and how much should i water it down for the mist coat

cheers

Sponsored Links
You might get away with one and one..but your mist coat will have to be fairly thick in order to make sure it covers well enough so when the second one goes one the wall looks solid.

Personally I dont like a mist coat that thick.

You will also need to rub down after the mist coat and you might need to do a little filling, that will have to be touched up before you put the final coat on otherwise it will 'flash'..plus when you rub down you may expose the bare plaster underneath..again that will need touching up before you attempt the final coat.

The trouble with a mist thats a bit thick is it can leave an orange peel finish..

Id rather go...mist--->rub down etc-->second coat (thinned a little to help it go on easy and so you dont have heavy brush/roller marks)---> light rub down--->final coat...again slightly thinned if needed..

The thicker the paint the heavier the finish...especially if your using contract matt.

Paint wise..stick to a well known brand..most stuff is ok these days but avoid unbranded bargain bucket stuff.

As for thinning, it depends on the paint..for a mist coat using crown covermatt, dulux super falt or johnstones Jonmat..id say around 30%...maybe a bit more for dulux.

The idea of a mist coat isnt to cover but to 'prime' the surfaces for the subsequent coats.

Aah when i was referring to two mist coats thats what i meant

1 mist coat which is 30% water, 70% Paint

2 slightly thinned middle coat approx 10-15% water and rest paint

3 fine coat

I have already rubbed down the walls to make sure they are all the same texture as currently although they are even walls, some parts are more rough than others.

Would i still need to rub down between coats?

Also two other questions zampa, currently the walls are a little dusty (excess of the rubbed down plaster), would you wipe them down with something first?

Finally, I have real issues painting corners and edges because i have to switch over from a roller to a brush but i hate brush strokes. Are there any tools that can be used for corners and edges rather than having to use a paint brush?

Cheers

Would i still need to rub down between coats?

It wouldnt hurt to..with 100 grade abrasive paper.

Also two other questions zampa, currently the walls are a little dusty (excess of the rubbed down plaster), would you wipe them down with something first?

A damp rag wouldnt hurt at all

Finally, I have real issues painting corners and edges because i have to switch over from a roller to a brush but i hate brush strokes. Are there any tools that can be used for corners and edges rather than having to use a paint brush?

One of these

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/prodpics/large
/FDDCORNERR.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FDDCORNERR/&h=232&w=250&sz=6&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=o1hHvcwyXLZ1YM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcorner%2Bpaint%2Broller%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enGB281GB282%26sa%3DG

And read your other postings!
:evil:

lol are them little corner rollers any good?

Also regarding the rub down, yes i know it wont be too much of an issue but with the size of the room which is 15x5 meters with loads of edges here and there also it would take forever to finish the whole paint process i think

hi kilo

u been askin for a few days now. just give it a very fine sand and then a damp rag wipe over then two coats of white. with the first coat just 10% water. if you use a good quality paint and a very clean brush, you will get no brush marks in the corners, promise.

17thman, i hope your right matey, im going to take the plunge and hope for the best.

Regarding the first coat (mist coat) however, should i not do 30% water. I am hoping to use some form of Dulux as i have always had good results with Dulux.

Also should i use a different paint for the mist coat and a seperate for the top coat?

As I said before it depends on the paint..but 10% in a can of supermatt is about an inch of water..its not going to have much impact at all.

I dont advocate it but sometimes I have pushed superflat up to a 50/50 mix and its still done the business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back