What might this be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I realise that this might be an impossible question to answer but I was wondering if anybody had any clues as to what the box above the doorway might be?

As far as I can tell it is solid (it sounds solid when tapped) and is above the doorway between two rooms on the ground floor with the room upstairs above having wooden floor joists and boards. The rooms are part of an extension. I just can't work out why it is there.

Thanks for any ideas.

Best wishes,
Stephen

Sponsored Links
Possibly the remains of an old chimney breast that was removed and a new doorway created below. The bit on the side wall reminds me of the widening you could get when an old copper was installed in the corner of a kitchen - From the days when hot water was heated in a copper tub with a fire underneath it. Not many about nowadays ;) On second thoughts too big unless it used to support a bedroom fireplace above as well.

How old is the house?

Thanks for the replies. There are no steps above it. I haven't worked out what the fuse box on the wall is for but the door is between the kitchen and bathroom so I think it might be for the extractor fan in the bathroom.

The house is a 1900 mid terrace but this is in the extension which is more modern. I think the extension was constructed in two phases and this would be the doorway between the two. There are two fireplaces in the main house, still with chimneys. The protruding section of wall is also solid. This 'box' is just below a normal flat piece of floor.

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like someone has stuck a door opening in the middle of a chimney breast as the thickening masonry occurs to the left of the door also.

Thanks all. I think I will go with the old chimney idea although I like the idea that it's full of £20 notes but I don't think I'm quite that lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back