What new boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unvented system, Megaflow, in a 4 bed detached house. looking for recommendations for new boiler please, in the kitchen

Sponsored Links
Pete? pete who.....?

Good point that man, gas. I assume it would have to be a condensing boiler. I say that with a sinking heart 'cos I live in a very hard water area and I hear horror stories about calcium build up.

Mind you I have a magnetic thingy on the cold feed which has reduced the scale and the Megaflow has an electronic one in the tank.

Sponsored Links
topgazza said:
I have an unvented system, Megaflow, in a 4 bed detached house. looking for recommendations for new boiler please, in the kitchen

You want a high quality system boiler. Atag Blue Angel or Premier boilers are best on the market at the moment. The Premier is slightly easier to integrate with a megaflow cylinder with S-plan, but Blue Angel has more advanced features.

Viessmann are also top quality but see other threads for comments on them.

Will do and thanks. being a closed high pressure system I presume it needs a cetain type of boiler to match the flow requirements ...or it that not the case?

topgazza said:
Will do and thanks. being a closed high pressure system I presume it needs a cetain type of boiler to match the flow requirements ...or it that not the case?

Can you rephrase that question :?:

No you're geting mixed up. The boiler is not directly related to the hot water, so it matters not whether a condensing boiler, the hardness of your water, what magnet you have, whether you have unvented or open vented cylinder or anything else.

For the best regular and system condensing boilers look no further than Buderus.

Doh!

Of course its not. I think I was reading about how condensing boilers have issues with corrosion and require more maintenance and connected that with hard water.

Looking at the names quoted they are not the usual Baxi/Valiant/Potterton etc names I was expecting. I presume they are the higher qulity end of the market and more expensive. This is not a problem as I'm working on the principle of get a top quality boiler and it will save me hassle and probably money in the long run. Any recommendations on where you can buy these boilers from please? The "normal" places only seem to carry the better known branded makes

Viessmann boilers are availiable from the merchants, PTS stock them, the Atag Boilers are also availiable through the merchants but not many stock them, you would be better off finding an approved Atag installer (Select Dealer) and get them to source the boiler and install it, these boilers are very good as long as they are installed correctly and set up properly.

htgeng are you a select dealer for Atag and if you are have you been to Holland for the training, best training I have ever had.

Ask for Buderus and they'll get yuou one, PTS will anyway, City Plumbing should, anyone who can't is blinkered anyway so not worth talking to.

silverback said:
htgeng are you a select dealer for Atag and if you are have you been to Holland for the training, best training I have ever had.

Yes I am a select dealer. I installed my first Atag back in 1997, a Blue Angel SHR15. That was way before condensing boilers were 1% in the UK (when you got a £200 grant from the government for installing a steamer). That boiler has only cost about £250 in repairs since installed and the design of them hasn't changed since[1]. A replacement pump and a replacement zone valve. They used to have Wilo pumps but now use Grundfos.

I started installing Atags again when they made a big push to sell them over here at the end of 2004 and I'm happy to say I haven't installed any other brand of boiler since then :cool:. I love the fact the boilers are built to a standard, with no dodgy cheap parts. The dutch really know how to make boilers.

[1] I have seen the new versions of the Blue Angel and Premier which have had a makeover with a few new components. They look very stylish and really blow away any of the excuse for boilers made in this country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back