What power tool do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
what tools would I need to cut out holes in a worktop for a sink and hob?
Thanks
Alison

Sponsored Links
Hi Alison

I'm assuming that this is a standard laminated chipboard top. You need an electric drill (or a cordless one) and a drill bit to drill a hole in each of the corners. Then use a jigsaw with a down cut blade to cut-out the holes between the corners. Try to get a decent quality blade like a Bosch - it makes all the difference. Depending on the type of sink you might also need a hole saw for the tap opening (if that is in the worktop and not the sink)

Scrit

Thanks very much- sounds sensible. I was all ready to buy a router and jig!

Yes, this is sensible advice from Scrit. I was going to say the same thing although, it looks like I was beaten to it lol.

@Blainey: I use a Skil jigsaw (here's the product: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...482>C$cip=37565>C$cip=37569&categoryId=37569) and works a treat for most DIY jobs. It's not the most expensive in the range but, then again, not the cheapest either. Never go for the cheapest power tool because they may look similar to the higher priced products but, are not as advanced and have their limitations. Therefore, they are only suited to simple jobs. I think a power tool from £50-£70 is adequate :). Good luck with your sawing. Be careful too ;).

@Scrit: I like your signature :mrgreen:.

Sponsored Links
Just went and had a look in my jigsaw box. The downcut blades are Bosch T101BR

Scrit

blainey, if you do use a downward blade make sure you hold the jig-saw tightly and more pressure on the worktop to stop the jig-saw jumping ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back