Is this sink undermounted?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I've bought a new wooden kitchen worktop and a new sink.

I want to undermount the sink.

However, there seems to be two ways of undermounting.

The first, is where you simply cut the correct hole in the worktop and attach the sink underneath, like this:

This sink is completely undermounted and the sink is below the depth of the worktop

The second, appears to be where you cut the correct hole first, then cut an 'edge' around the first hole, but not all the way through the wood.

When you stick the sink underneath this time, the sink is closer to the top of the wood when the counter is attached, rather than right underneath.

This sink isn't underneath the whole of the worktop, it is attached to an 'overhang' and is thus nearer the top of the worktop once it's laid

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about?

My question is, is there a correct term for both methods of undermounting and what tool do I need for both?

Sponsored Links
Whats the actual sink, the rebated method is often used for solid surface materials such as corian which is 12mm thick with a 25mm backing. the sink is fixed to the underside of the 12mm corian so the backing cant get wet.

I've not seen the rebated method used for solid timber tops, cant see whty it should not work but you will find it hard to route a drip groove.

Jason

That sink is designed to sit on top of the worktop, and the clips that come with it will only work that way.

However, there is noting to stop you fixing it in a rebate, but you will have difficulties cutting a perfectly straight hole for it without a circular saw and a handsaw. For the rebate, you will need a router and a straight cutting bit.

The drip groove is a groove cut on the underside (of your rebated section), so that any water that slips over the edge is prevented from travelling beyond a desired area for it to drip into the sink.

Sponsored Links
As Dex says that sink is designed to drop into an opening and not undermounted.

The drainer will make it difficult to undermount without getting an unsightlty mastic joint.

To cut a decent hole to undermount (your top sketch) or rebate mount (second sketch) will requite a router, strainht cutting bit and a straightedge. and a 6mm bull nose cutter for the drip. Have a look under an outside window cill, you will see a groove about 6-12mm back from the edge, this is a drip groove and it stops water running back under the wood.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back