What pre-cast cement blocks would you recommend for retaining walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be excavating some soil from a hillside in front of our house in order to add a driveway in front, so will be installing a retaining wall to hold up the soil. After surveying various options, I'm leaning towards using pre-cast concrete blocks for the build, either in a cantilever style or gravity mass wall. We'll be hoping to either add brick fronting, or get a block with a pattern on the front (like here: https://retainingwallsolutions.co.uk/retaining-wall-blocks/).

I've found it difficult to find a lot of options online, though I gather there are many manufacturers. So I'm wondering what people on the forum have used, overall cost per m2 (I'm doing two walls at 900mm tall by 12m wide) and your experience working with the "technology".

Sponsored Links
Your choice of blocks and design of wall implies that it will be designed by a professional and not randomly selected.

But for a 900mm wall, traditional masonry and construction will be more than adequate.

Yeah, I had noticed that each block technology does seem to have a particular sort of engineering that went with it - thus my search for testimonials.

Just out of curiousity, when you say traditional masonry, do you mean a brick mass wall, e.g. double flights at the bottom working up to single flight for the top with gravel backfill and french drain?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back