What to put on top of retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new retaining wall built that is going to be approx 20m long and it will be stepped down a bit in the middle section. The highest point on either end of the wall will be 900mm high and the lowest point towards the middle will be 700mm high.

The wall is going to be made of concrete blocks with the front facing part of the wall rendered. There will be proper drainage installed on the backside of the wall.

Can anyone recommend what would be best to lay and look good on the top of the wall? We were thinking that whatever gets laid on the top, it would be wider than the blocks so that we could run some LED strip lighting beneath the top section. We will be having a new porcelain tiled patio layed.

Sponsored Links
Wide coping stones with a small ridge along the centre?
Make sure there are drip grooves under each side so any top water won't run under the stone then run down/soak in to the wall.

Thanks @conny. I have considered coping stones but I was wondering whether something like sandstone or another material may look better?

Don't know if you can get sandstone copings to be honest, (don't see why not), but make sure they are mortared/cemented in securely.
I suppose you could use flat sandstone but make the mortar/cement bed a bit thicker on one edge to give a gentle slope.
Wouldn't like one of them to hit me if it blew off in a high wind or someone climbing on them.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you want something modern and aesthetically pleasing to go with the wall. Not some poxy concrete saddle copings from the 70's.

You need to look through some brochures to see what will work.

The problem with rendered walls is that traditional copings are designed to project from a bare wall, and once you render you need to be careful that the overhang and drip is maintained.

How thick is the wall?
Could you use timber?
Not as hardwearing as stone/ concrete but stuff like decking could provide a seating perch

Thanks. The thickness of the wall (concrete blocks) will be approx 200mm and then to allow a few millimetres for the rendering on the face of the wall.
Is there anything particular I should consider in terms of the rendering of the wall? Should it contain some particular mixture to add strength and/or durability?

You could do it like this.
DSC00105.JPG

All sorts of options, including trendy aluminium style - try a few designer garden mags for inspiration.

One point about aluminium is that in sunlight it gets bloody hot.
My parents bought a couple of folding deck chairs at a house clearance in the 70’s
Harrods labels, aluminium frames and arms, most arms are wood or plastic these days

on a sunny day the arms get so hot, that resting bare arms on the chair causes instant withdrawal due to pain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back