What Prep Needed Before Painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is one wall in my kitchen with patches of bubbled, flaking paint. It looks like damp, except it's too high and inconsistent for rising damp, there is no pipework above for possible leaks, and it's far away from the boiler, stove, and kettle so don't suspect condensation. It also hasn't deteriorated in the past three years since I bought the house.

Do you think it wants a basecoat/primer/sealant, or can I just scrape, sand, then paint? If I need a basecoat, what would you recommend?

Photo attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220919_114905.jpg
    20220919_114905.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Cold spot? Condensation forms on cold spot.
Hard to say so dig and look

Possibly, but like I say, it hasn't got any worse in years so I don't think the cause is still there. I'm not keen to dig up the plasterboard unless I have to.

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly. Other odd walls in the house were wallpapered, and just painted over the wallpaper without bothering to remove it first (I suspect by the estate agent).

It's entirely possible the kitchen wall was papered, in a poor condition, and the estate agent made a half-hearted attempt at removing the paper before painting over the residue.

Would that have this effect?

Quite possibly. Other odd walls in the house were wallpapered, and just painted over the wallpaper without bothering to remove it first (I suspect by the estate agent).

It's entirely possible the kitchen wall was papered, in a poor condition, and the estate agent made a half-hearted attempt at removing the paper before painting over the residue.

Would that have this effect?
When paint reacts with old wallpaper paste, it can look like that.

Other things can cause a similar effect as well.

@sparkwright Finally got round to actually doing the wall today, and you were right. When I removed the light and plug covers, there were bits of old wallpaper stuck behind. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back