What qualifications do I need to do gas work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bumping up old threads isn't always so bad. I want all the gas moved in my place and was going to just call in a corgi and ask him what labour he needs doing so it's just a case for him to take a few things down and that, I want the boiler disconnected for a while and then reconnected so now I'm thinking it's starting to get expensive.

What exact qualifications do you need to work on gas? I've not done huge amount of plumbing but seem to be reasonably good at it, the standard of my work on water pipes was as good as the guy who fitted the gas pipes to our boiler.

I don't understand a lot of things about the way this house has been put together :( A friend of mine came round and looked at it and just like me he says "why did he put that gas pipe there he could have put it there instead" which is exactly what I thought.

Is there some sort of alternative in that you get a training to a level to make you safe, then get an inspection from a fully qualified pro to check you did it right?

Probably still end up going down the just doing the labour root since this looks like it's expensive to pick up, but it's good to be able to do things for yourself. I've had lots of bad experiences with the poor quality work other people have done (and a few with poor quality work I have done!) but if it's myself who did the work and I don't think it's good enough I can do it again, if I hired in a pro then he would be losing money and probably not want to make it to the high standard I demand, decisions, decisions...

Sponsored Links
Hi Mr Bodge,
You strike me as one of a group of people who's philosophy is if you want a job done right do it yourself (I can fully understand this).

You will be pleased to know that you can legally do this job yourself in your own home.
However, be warned that should anything bad happen because of the work that you have done you will be held fully responsible for the consequences.
Another problem will come when you sell your house and you won't have the necessary certificates for the HIP.
Then the estate agent will really rip you off financially in order to get the work you have done certified.

if you get someone in who knows what he is doing, thats a cost effective way to go, he'll be quicker, he won't have to keep asking what the regs are and he'll be resonsible for the whole installation,
btw, the house information program is finished now,,,

Sponsored Links
the new tories abolished the hip, corgi's still here, but called gassafe now,

"What exact qualifications do you need to work on gas?"

O level woodwork and techy drawing ;)

you need to pass acs quals however to be allowed to do this you need
to get some expriance with a rgi thats the hard part

What you lot don't understand is even if you are fully ACS qualified and have you fitted and repaired gas boilers all your life but your are an employee the moment you step out on your own you are then not working under your employers gas safe banner - then you are fitting gas illegally.

you RGI guys really do take the ****, not like us oftec gents, keep it up its more entertaining than the tv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back