FAO GAS BOYS: How do i get gas qualified?

So how should you finish your apprenticeship if no jobs and no one willing to train you its not best answer but i had to do it some way and he has similair problems so what would you suggest.

By the way it was near 5k and no wages for year and 60 mile round trips i put hart soul into learning everything i can from it did it full time no pay and got through it but i would not recommend this route if you don`t how to plumb in the first place

Sponsored Links
I cannot suggest anything which will help the OP. He has got himself into an unrealistic situation where what he wants to do is not achievable within his lifestyle.

Its usually the result of thinking that the grass is greener on the other side and wanting to do plumbing without spending money or time.

Anyone who wants to be a doctor sets aside about seven years of their life and about £120,000 of cost to live during their training. They either come from wealthy families or dont have kids or morgages until after their training. Thousands do that every year to become qualified in their chosen field. Why should plumbers be any different?

The classic route into plumbing was a five year apprenticeship followed by another five years as an employee before considering being self employed. Thats the way to get the best experience! Any get rich quick route is likely to be very hard.

Against most people is that their just want to become self employed as quick as possible. That means they will be stealing customers/competing on price so why should any experienced person train them free just to enable them to set up in competition?

After very few requests for me to assist with practical training for the last year I have had several over the last few weeks. I have to choose who I take very carefully.

Tony

first things first, you need to be Gas Safe Registered to do gas, used to be CORGI but they now do other things.
GSR hold a register of competant people they dont offer any courses etc, you need to go down a college, training centre route, to access the course you need a portfolio of evedence to prove you have covered practical work as well as theory so check out websites of providers to see what they require and the cost etc, good luck
Getting back to subject, you need to pass your ACS which enables you to do your Gas Regs which enables you to register with GSR ;)

tony its a s***hole always has been and probably always will be! end of

i lived there in Earlsdon then Wood End when i worked at Clubline in Stoke Heath the only thing going for it is the road out of there.

Kevin you lived in WoodEnd? And you have survived to tell tell us?! man your a legend! Woodend is one of the most violent and depraved housing estates in the country. How can you judge cov baed on your experience in woodend? Falluja in Iraq is probably safer then woodend. The only thing going for that area is the large farmfoods store they have. But going there is a nightmare, especially if like me, your of the brown skinned category, although a bit of talcum powder works wonders.

Aside from woodend, Cov isnt too bad. It used to be a dump, but the city centre is fast changing, the ricoh arena has made a big change, a lot of housing developments, aprtments, nice new restuarants, decent uni developments and an upcoming £2 billion centre centre redevelopment.

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone for your responses, very much appreciated and eye opening. I do realise i will have to make sacrifices along the way, financial and other. I was thinking of divroceing my wife, kicking her and my daughter out, and selling the house just to get gas qualified. Bit of a sacrifice but i think worth it long term. :)

Nah seriously, I will do the plumbing work for now and use that money to save up to pay for the gas course in time. Gona be a long road, but its a road i'm determined to go down.

My advice would be doing your plumbing courses get yourself the knowledge on ch system and try get into your local council who will if your lucky start you on gas.

Good luck

Kevin you lived in WoodEnd? And you have survived to tell tell us?! man your a legend! Woodend is one of the most violent and depraved housing estates in the country. How can you judge cov baed on your experience in woodend? Falluja in Iraq is probably safer then woodend. The only thing going for that area is the large farmfoods store they have.

yes i lived in Ashorne Close for 3 years. Wood End ain't so bad when you know a few of the natives! i had a 2 bed 1st floor flat. lovely inside spacious and funnily enough fairly quiet.

i always thought the Willenhall estate was worse. as for judging Cov it is the arishole of the w.midlands in my opinion. it may have changed but i doubt it has improved.
Farmfoods wasn't there then Lidl in Bell Green was brand new and Sainsbury's was even thought of on the Bell Green Road
i always went on the 21 to town and the got the 12 up to the uni or the Canley bus to go shopping at Tesco.
good days though, loved it there even though it was the pits!! used to get 2 buses to work (clubline at stoke heath) and used to walk back across the field from the miners arms (where i also worked part time) on a saturday/sunday evening from Hawkesbury Junction having seen the hirers through the stop lock.

Wow...I have even been on the 21 and the 12 buses !

But most people in Cov always say that Hillfields is the worst area, Victoria Street is it? I did my ACS near there last year.

I have spent much time in Oliver Street and I have two houses in the Arbury Ave area. The only "trouble" I have ever experienced is one night about 5 years ago I had all four tyres spiked which was not very nice.

Very luckily there was the spare! I got them pumped up high in Sainsburys, got two new tyres in that place near Peugeot and managed to get to Silverline in Leamington for the last two tyres.

I met four RGIs from this site two months ago near to Wood End!

Tony

Wow...I have even been on the 21 and the 12 buses !

But most people in Cov always say that Hillfields is the worst area, Victoria Street is it? I did my ACS near there last year.

I have spent much time in Oliver Street and I have two houses in the Arbury Ave area. The only "trouble" I have ever experienced is one night about 5 years ago I had all four tyres spiked which was not very nice.

Very luckily there was the spare! I got them pumped up high in Sainsburys, got two new tyres in that place near Peugeot and managed to get to Silverline in Leamington for the last two tyres.

I met four RGIs from this site two months ago near to Wood End!

Tony

Hillfields, Wood End, Stoke Aldermoor and Willenhall, they are all much the same, it is not the place it is the people that make it bad. I was born and bred in Radford but have lived in most parts of the city over the years including a short stay in Oliver street,which is in the mysteriously named area known as Paradise!
I live away from Cov now but visit the family regulary and much as I enjoy it I always look forward to going home to Wales. But saying that, all the big cities have the same problems as Cov like B'ham, Manchester,Leeds, London etc..and if I had to choose it'd be Coventry before any of them.

i lived breifly with my mate in hillfields and never found it a problem area noisy yes but never any trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back