FAO GAS BOYS: How do i get gas qualified?

The future's in renewables - this is where the big money is going to be. Gas will soon be a thing of the past is my reckoning. So look to the future - ground heat etc.

Sponsored Links
hey matey , my pal just qualified with two years of work experience under his belt. He went to the local training school and asked and they gave him a starter portfolio with pages of questions... some aout fires some about boilers ...servicing installing bla bla ....and told him to come back when hes completed the questions. He went back one and they told him i wasnt` good enough ...he went back a second time ...and hey presto open ya wallet and pay for the course. Whether or not you pass .. is down to how much you revise and listen in the class room !!! good luck !!

Condolences to anyone who lives in Coventry ;)

Cov is nothing like it used to be!

There is the new Ricoh stadium, Peugeot has been flattened, the cheapest house is over £60k, the city is all changing.

There are now two very good indian restaurants ( and another in Nuneaton up the A444 ).

I go there every week or two and like the place!

Tony

tony its a ****hole always has been and probably always will be! end of

i lived there in Earlsdon then Wood End when i worked at Clubline in Stoke Heath the only thing going for it is the road out of there.

Sponsored Links
Did my degree at Warwick - only ever went to cov for an adventure. Kenilworth and Leamington far nicer.

Had to go back to cov a few months ago to get something - the centre is an absolute disgrace and needs knocking down.

right theirs a company called met uk who can help you but you only get out of it what you put into it
the more you do the better you are

Most RGIs dont think that an expensive way to get the qualification quickly without extensive practical training is the way to go!

That just lets an inexperienced person loose on the public !

Tony

you do get year pratical expriance with them they owned by spice and take care of your training
had to finish my apprentship with them as company was working for went bust

There is a phrase, is there not, of being "sent to coventry" describing a less than favourable scenario..

right theirs a company called met uk who can help you but you only get out of it what you put into it
the more you do the better you are

Dont waste your money going to met-uk.
They will teach you the very basics of gas.

They then send you out with other rgi , that if they can find you one.
To learn 4 months i think.

you will not learn anything in that time and they promise you the world.

Take it from me who has just completed 1 year of gas works, and its been hard as hell.
i have the luxury on calling on uncle is was with bg for 40 years and ex potterton service and repair engineer.

There is no fast track as you cant buy experiance you have to learnt it and it takes years which i am finding out.

lighting you are right to extent but if you need to finish an apprenticeship they are okay and you are right they are expensive but they are way in to start if you can afford it and you already know the basics.

I will admit if you go there with no knowledge of plumbing or gas you will find it hard but if you know the basics and had plenty time working in the industry already they are a way forward.

I already had 3 years experience by the time i had to go them mainly installs and some servicing not enough for my portfolio as no brake down experience how ever i got lucky and got in with breakdown engineer who took me under his wing.

I learned a lot from him and do owe him debt gratitude for his help

The future's in renewables - this is where the big money is going to be. Gas will soon be a thing of the past is my reckoning. So look to the future - ground heat etc.

if only you were right on this, sadly renewables are expensive to install and most won't part with the dosh! i do solar as well as gas and electrical and would say solar is less than 1% of my business.

I'm just finding it hard to be convinced about how much heat / hot water can be produced from a solar panel pointing at a grey English winter sky when it's -4 C. A little maybe, by some far fetched hi tech system, but I reckon there's a whole lot of spin going on about renewables / windmills etc that might power a radio but is insignificant compared with the energy consumption required to keep warm in this climate.

lighting you are right to extent

I think that he is 100% right!

Its very difficult to get the right experience.

Firstly few people seem to realise that medics, solicitors etc spend up to SEVEN years studying before they have any earnings! Thye seem to imaging that they can take a £3000 course and go out and earn £35k pa immediately! Perhaps as a hard cowboy they could but it would not be honest. Some people get satisfaction from doing a good job for a reasonable pay rather that ripping off some old dear.

Solar heating has no payback when professionally installed. As a DIY project it can give about 10% return. In spite of grey skys its possible to get about £100-£150 saving per annum on hot water costs IF you have at least two adults and two kids to use the summer hot water. Its only for those people who like to be green.

There is a gullible lady near me who has spent £4000 for a solar system when she has only 50mm of insulation in her loft and NO insulation on the heating pipes in her loft where the boiler is located! thats mad! £300 spent on insulation would save her twice as much as the £4000 solar!

Tony

I'm just finding it hard to be convinced about how much heat / hot water can be produced from a solar panel pointing at a grey English winter sky when it's -4 C. A little maybe, by some far fetched hi tech system, but I reckon there's a whole lot of spin going on about renewables / windmills etc that might power a radio but is insignificant compared with the energy consumption required to keep warm in this climate.

if you read hvp magazine you seen article on it how units fail due too bacteria development in the mixtures they use to make the heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back