Water leaking into consumer unit!!! (What do you do?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. it's not happened yet. I thought about posting it in the sparcs club but it's something the plumber is more likely to know, right?

I really like plumbing, which is just as well cause I can't afford one. I've done a fair bit of my own work without a single leak, touch wood, and even repaired a leak the pro made when I called him in on a join I was too scared to do. Which is the reason for this worry, he is a pro, his work leaked, like he said, everyone is going to get a leak sometime and I believed him then, still do. So... I have to make a join directly ABOVE THE CONSUMER UNIT.

Even worse, that's directly above the electric meter, so if it leaks it's probably hitting the consumer unit, the electric meter and the very large junction box which joins the two.

Why do you have to do that? Because some legend in the earlier part of last century thought it was a good idea to put gas, electric, water in one place so there are six pipes running horizontally (yes, horizontally) across the consumer unit and I needed to cut into a pipe which carries the main supply from the water board (i.e., I already did it, assisted by an improv pump...) The only way I could avoid this join would be to re-plumb the route of everything, it would take probably 3 days and none of the people who have done work on it before have bothered to - as I can see from the assorted T pieces, dead legs and other comedy artifacts directly... (cue dramatic music) ABOVE MY CONSUMER UNIT.

I've done lots of DIY pipe soldering and it's all been good work. My joins even look like pro work with barely the visible trace of solder 80% of the time now, as well as not leaking. But I am quite scared by the consequences of buggering this up, so, if it does go wrong what can I do other than phone the fire brigade as my house self destructs and blaming "the cowboy from gumtree who just left on his stallion" when the police want to know why the electric boards equipment appears to have immolated due to short circuit via water damage. What should I do if it does go wrong and all my vacuum pumps, water collection devices and other barriers fail and water starts cascading into the supply meter?

Sponsored Links
You've got three choices really, haven't you?

1. Don't worry about it. If the joint don't leak now, why should it start anytime soon?

2. Move all of the plumbing away from the 'lectrics

3. Move the 'lectrics away from the plumbing.

I would have thought it was bl**dy obvious! :)

If worst happens, it probably won't burn your house down, unless your unlucky. Are ya feeling lucky? Are ya?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back