What rawl plug and where to aim for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Probably an easy answer to many....but not to me!

This is a picture of a room under construction, a few weeks ago. There is now a window where I've drawn a blue square.

I think plasterboard was added, and the painting has been done.

I would now like to add a blind over the window, starting very close to the ceiling near the top, higher than the window.

I am not sure where to drill, and what rawlplugs to buy. This is my main quesstion.

I have the blinds and the fittings/screws. I think I need to drill a hole with a 3mm bit, but I'll double check that.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you.

Inkedwall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depending on the screw size, ordinary 5mm/6mm raw plugs would do if you are screwing into that board across the top.
You probably don't even need to use plugs, but I find they are less likely to pull out when operating the blinds.
Did you not get any plugs with the blinds kit? The screws need to be long enough to go through the plasterboard and into the solid board at the back.

conny, thanks a lot. Actually, yes, I completely missed them, rawl plugs were supplied! They're not tiny so they give me confidence that it'll be a secure fit.

The screws also supplied are 4cm in length - do you think that will be long enough to go through the plasterboard? (not sure how thick plaster normally is). I am well stocked on screws and can probably find screws of similar diameter that are longer.

Sponsored Links
If you're screwing into that timber at the top (which you should if possible) you won't need plugs. I don't know how thick your brackets are but the plasterboard and skim will be 15mm and I'd want 40-50mm of screw into the timber.

Thanks everyone. This is what it looks like now. Would you still expect there to be wood behind the plaster above the window?

Attachments

• AAAE92F2-F69D-4728-954F-76E1C60F564A.jpeg
    AAAE92F2-F69D-4728-954F-76E1C60F564A.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 36
Yes. The easy way to find out is to shove a small screwdriver through the plaster where you want to drill the hole (turn it while pushing so that you are using it like a blunt drill). When you have got it in about 20mm it will either hit wood or it will hit insulation board, it's easy to feel the difference (hard or soft).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back