What RCB Do I need For 43 50W Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a total of 43 downlights running in my hallway and one room.

As I previously mentioned the 6A MCB is tripping sometimes. This only happens when all the lights are on.

Can anyone explain what MCB rating I require. For me 50W * 43 == 2KW.

How many 50W lights can I run on a 6A MCB?

Sponsored Links
Well you might get away with a 10A mcb - but only if you've wired the lights in 1.5mm cable and there's no insulation around the cables

Really that many lights should be split into at least 2 circuits. Is this not possible to do?

How many!!!
50w x 43 = 2150w.
2150w/230v = 9.35A

Time to find some LED or CFL replacement lamps me thinks!

Sponsored Links
Well you might get away with a 10A mcb - but only if you've wired the lights in 1.5mm cable and there's no insulation around the cables

Really that many lights should be split into at least 2 circuits. Is this not possible to do?

I used 1.5MM cable so that should be ok - I do want to move to LED lamps. That was always the plan

How many lights will need to be moved to use LED so the MCB does not trip?

Has anyone used these LEDs? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/LED+Lamps/LED+Lamp+GU10+White/d220/sd3276/p53519.

What LEDs can you reccomend that are reasonable in price and have similar color to the GU10s? I find it rather awkward to pay 4 quid a pop and throw away perfectly good old Halogen GU10 bulbs

Can anyone explain what MCB rating I require. For me 50W * 43 == 2KW.

How many 50W lights can I run on a 6A MCB?

How many watts is 6 amps at 230 volts ?

Hint W = V times A

Now divide the answer by 50.

Simples. and basic knowledge and skills for anyone doing electrical work

Lear we not forget that the lights maybe 43 x 50w plus the kitchen, hall, and other rooms on the circuit.

You still haven't hurt yourself yet then Mr Deluded?

Could you confirm if the 43 gu10s are on there own circuit or is there other lighting loads to add to the 43 x 50w ?

is this the guy that was moaning a few weeks back about the quotes he got from electricians to install 20 downlights in his living room, and in the end said he had done it himself perfectly safely and that he would never be using all the lights at the same time?

edit: I think he thought there was a fuse built into a light switch as well.

If he is telling the truth, then i really am speechless to his incompetence.

Almost 2.2kw of downlighting and whatever else the rest of the house lights add up to. I hope he has a deep pocket for when his electricity bill comes through, and for when he has to get a proper electrician in to fix his yee-ha'd wiring bodges.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Oh, not that word 'troll' that came from america.

Besides, you are feeding him, you've replied.

Oh, not that word 'troll' that came from america.

Besides, you are feeding him, you've replied.

Go on then, SF, tell us what you think of him?

1) Is he a "troll" (I don't like the word either, but at least we know what it means)?
2) Or is he genuinely looking for help?

And if 2, do you think that he's capable of understanding the advice given here and using that advice to achieve an effective and safe installation?
Honest hanswer happreciated...
:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back