What Roller to use for Dulux Endurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be using Dulux Endurance on hallway walls for durability.

Q - What roller should I use for the best finish?
The walls are now in good condition - I have spent ages filling and sanding to get a good, flat finish so they should look good. Preference may come into it but I am not too keen on the orange peel or texture that seems to come to some degree from a medium pile roller.

Although Endurance is classed as a durable matt, I can see from a test area that it has a slight sheen to it, not as much as satin but definitely a reflective finish. For that test I used a 4" short pile Hamilton gloss roller, very little profile just flat - the resulting paint finish does have quite a sheen to it, but it is very flat and looks good!

I will now use a 9" roller for the walls but do I use short or medium pile?
I do really want it to look as matt and flat as possible, but not have the peaks and troughs of a heavy texture - medium or long pile!

Q - How should I now proceed? - I have previously had too many false starts and want to do it right. The surface is a mix of old bare plaster, old matt and much of it has been covered in Zinser Gardz over the top of an old vinyl silk. But it is good, sound and flat.

Q1 - Should I do my mist coat in the Endurance and what ratio of paint to water?
Q2 - Or do I use a different paint for the mist coat?
Q3 - How many coats and time between coat please?
Q4 - Do I add a %age of water to the Endurance 5-10%?
Q5 - Which roller - pile length short or medium, type and a brand that I can get at Screwfix of Toolstation?

Your advice much appreciated.
Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back