what screw bit to use ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using black plaster board screws at the moment to build a new shed.

I have some 100mm PB screws and have been using them for the noggins. My philips head bit (ph2) has really had some problems getting this screw into the wood.

Does anyone know if i am using the wrong fitting. Would i need to get a pz2 bit.

Off to buy some wood screws tomorrow if i can't get these to work. Shame as i have a big packet to use up.

Sponsored Links
Are the screws self cutting, or are you drilling a pilot hole first. The self cutting screw will go straight in, and cut under the head as well, so won't put too much pressure on the bit, but if you've got ordinary screws, and no pilot hole, then this could be causing the issues, and the bit should sit into the screw without any movement.

"I am using black plaster board screws" i assumed they were the self cutting variety.

Sponsored Links
They'll self cut into the wood, but the head won't cut down into the chipboard, so that part will start putting pressure on the screw bit.

I think they self cut, but my bits are crap. I am going to buy a decent bit tomorrow. If they still don't go in then i will do a pilot hole.

Very rare that the heads come off when screwing into plasterboard on top of studs and noggins!! And you can get different thicker and longer screws for form work or for screwing into a wooden back grounds...If you are using 3" screws then it would be better to put a pilot hole in first...

Turns out i had a pack of Pz2 bits which i have been using and i didn't realise. Got a ph2 in today and no problem at all. DUH!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back