what sds Drill Size for 20mm conduit??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using 20mm conduit as a sleeve. The wall it is going through is 600mm thick, so before I buy a pricey 1m long sds bit, I wanted to check what diameter to buy to make life easy.

Will a 20mm drill be too tight or should I go for 22mm ?? If I go 22 mm will the conduit be too loose and slide around?

The wall is breeze blocks if that makes any difference.

Many thanks for any advice,

Kevin.

Sponsored Links
I'd probably go for 25mm, and aim to fill the space around the conduit either by pointing or maybe expanding foam. It depends how "crumbly" your blocks are.

I can't imagine you'll ever get a 20 to work but as previously stated masonry's a little unpredictable. Personally I'd get a 20, 22 and 25 and work my way up until it fits. I know you've pointed out they're not that cheap but judging by your userID, it sounds to be something you'd get a lot of use from.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help. USID might be misleading :)

I normally work on smaller more complicated things electrical/electronic...

I'd really like to buy only one 1m long bit at circa £30 - I've always managed up 'till now with my 450mm 'real mans' drill...

I've seen some el cheapo ones online for around £15. It'll probably self destruct after a couple of uses but if it's for a single job, who cares?

Nice idea Bernardgreen, but unfortunately I only have access from one side.

I had a look and £15 ones are available from screwfix - thanks for the hint. I can't imagine even cheap stuff having trouble with breeze.

I'll go for the 22mm then unless anyone knows that won't work.

Cheers,

Kevin.

22mm for me.

25mm is sloppy - I use this if I need to sink the female conduit adaptor into the wall a short way, if the conduit enters the accessory, trunk, etc from the rear. 22mm hole through the wall, and then the 25mm for an inch to widen the hole.

Bought 22mm 1m drill - did job perfectly - 20mm conduit sheath is snug but slides easily enough to go through cavity and thick internal wall. '8

Job done ! Many thanks for the advice. :D

Kevin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back