what shall i do with this?

its o.k its going to be a library type shelf room. so it just needs to be strong enough to hold shelves and a bit of weight. i think i'll hardwall using batons slightly under depth and leave them in for something to screw the shelves on my main problem will be the leveling of the batons as the wall curves inwards at the top. cheers for everything peeps

Sponsored Links
If we're going to quote exact products to be use for the job. If you opt for the wet plaster route, make sure you use dri-coat, being cement based, it's more suited to wet areas. Again, this is of the highest standard of product for the job, but, how many people use it for patching a room back up?

Wet plaster is always my preferred option but when refurbishing a back to block bathroom, your probably right; in wet areas I find it far easier to use a cement backer board. Preferably, I will still go for render/finish coat on the rest of the room though but it depends what was there in the first place & how much of it’s being tiled.

(normal plasterboard has been in the main bathroom easily 15 years easily, and it's still there fine.)
If you keep it well ventilated, you probably wont get problems with wallboard in “dry” areas but the cost difference between WB & MR on yer average bathroom is probably going to be less than 40 quid; on a £3 - £5k bathroom refit it’s a no brainer. Wet areas behind the bath & in a shower enclosure is another story & if yours has lasted 15 years on wall board, your doing well although if it’s been skimmed, it will help. Once moisture gets in there, you’re ****ed & is why I prefer a decent tile backer board. If I do have to go over PB, no matter what variety it is, I would always tank it. It’s also important to use decent trade tiling products; the DIY low budget stuff on offer in the sheds is generally crap; it can get you into all sorts of trouble & invariably doesn’t last.

dri-coat is the alternative to sand/cement render, it's a bagged form from gypsum. replaced the old stuff, renovating coat/finish.

not that any of this matter now, because OP has stated that now it's going to just be shelving space.

so, you have the option like said, hardwall wet plaster or dot, dab boards and just use longer fixings for your shelves. Both will work, your choice on which you choose, cost would be the main factor i'd think.

Personally, i'd say if you can't wet plaster though, and can use a spirit level, dot 'n' dab it. you'll then end up with a nice flat surface.

Sponsored Links
Personally, i'd say if you can't wet plaster though, and can use a spirit level, dot 'n' dab it. you'll then end up with a nice flat surface.
Absolutely; but use MR & tank the wet areas. :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back