What shed felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have bought a used 20' * 10' (6m * 3m approx) shed and have had to spend a fair bit making repairs etc.

What are the cheapest options for roofing? I've seen some rose underlay '3b' and wondered if that would be suitable as I really don't want to spend £150+ on Wickes felt.

Alternatively, can someone advise on most exonomical way to cover shed roof as a 10m roll only gets one length per roll!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's false economy to go cheap on materials, especially if, as I suspect, you have spent at least £2k on just the shed.
I too have a 20' x 10' and I have used the felt they supplied to get me through the winter but intend to over felt it this spring/summer using a good quality one. I paid nearly £3k for mine plus the cost of building the base, running electrics to it and then building my own benches that suit my height and also to a depth I feel is more practical than the 'skinny' ones most people buy.
Instead of running a 10 metre roll lengthwise I ran mine over the apex from one side to the other. I then overlapped the next piece by 4" (100mm), and sealed the overlap with bitumen mastic before nailing down with 3/4" clout nails.

I was contemplating shingles or similar on our shed roof, amazed that felt is that expensive!.

Read the title wrong. I though it said 'what she'd felt'. Disappointed!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback folks.

@Keithmac - I also was thinking singles would be better but yes mega expensive.

@conny - shed cost me £250, needed a bit of reworking but has gone together solid enough. Used free concrete slabs for base which is slight regret as not as even as it could have been so bit of movement in the floor. Your idea of running over the top is interesting and that's the sort of advice I was looking for. A neighbour has suggested that I will need to run battens anyway to hold it down so I will look at this. My only concern is creating a decent overlapping join over the ridge where it is not tacked and will not be taught.

I think another option is to run a length and the join the remnant with the next length - in same way as you would floorboards, and then use the batten to hide the lapped bitumen join. I'm hoping that will be a good compromise and should save me a roll (sadly not quite two) so I can justify a better quality felt.

Attachments

• PXL_20220405_111657351.jpg
    PXL_20220405_111657351.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 66
If you look on eBay, there is a company selling "seconds" EPDM offcuts. You would have to buy the adhesive but the trims/upstands can be replicated with cheaper timber or other materials. Easy to fit and 50 year lifespan.

Another recommendation for EPDM. My new shed roof is 10m x 3m and I used a single sheet of EPDM. It weighs 65kg, so was somewhat of a problem getting onto the roof but is vey easy to lay and completely impervious to water. I haven't used any adhesive - partly because my shed may have to be de-constructed (planning) and secondly because it doesn't really need it.

This is my second EPDM project. Back in 2003 I fitted a L-shaped EPDM foor over my (previous house) pouch/garage/extension that was perfect for 20 years and still going strong. That install was more comprhensive with underlay felt, flashing in with silicone and proper upstands. The latest one is just laid straight on the ply shed roof. I'm still um-ing and er-ing on the fixings as "proper" trim is very expensive - for the moment it is just held in place with a few screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back