what sheething for frame wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey...building a 4*2 frame/stud wall inside my single leaf block garage...both for insulation purposes and to support a new slate roof.
My question is:
What type board should i use @ the back of it?(ill be plasterboarding the front of it.
Thanks,
Martin.

Sponsored Links
Not usually done, you just put insulation and vapour barrier between the block wall and plasterboard, although you say you are supporting a slate roof, why aren't you using the blocks to hold this up? Anyway if the stud wall will become structural, then 18mm ply or osb will give it lot of strength, but there's no reason why you can't use that on the inside (room side) either underneath the plasterboard, or in place of it depending on he finish you want.

Heya...the reason im putting sheets in is to stop the wall racking..as it will be a load bearing wall it could easily rack.
Im not supporting off the external block as its a party wall and is a bit weak.(and knocking it and rebuilding would bring about all sorts of complications with my neighbours nice new driveway!!
Im not building a internal blockwall as the floor is only 3-4" thick concrete and may not support a wall very well and a roof.
Whats OSB??
SAy if the external block wall was strong...could i just strap a wall plate to it?...im going to be putting in a timber wall anyway for insulation so i thought...why not support roof off that?
Cheers,
Martin.

To stop racking use 2 noggins between each stud, and screw 6x1 timber to the back of the frame, like a big floor-to-ceiling zig-zag.

A 4x3 wallplate on the block wall will spread the load of the roof evenly throughout the wall, and I don't see why it shouldnt be ok, unless the mortar is falling to bits.

OSB - oriented strand board, available from any diy shed or builders merchant, you'll know it when you see it. Used for shed roofs.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Deluks...your input is much appreciated!
No wall isnt falling to bits and im actually knocking it to about 6 foot and putting 3 fresh courses on it....its just a bit hollow sounding if u know what i mean!
Maybe what ill do is this.
Put on a wall plate, strap it and pop in my joists.
Build my timberframe wall underneath it and bring it right up to my joists thus sharing the load!
Have my seamless gutter installed(which apparently is 5 and a half inches wide?)...then cut out my rafters so that they run to the gutter OK.
Sound OK?
Martin

Sound ok, apart from the fact that the stud wall will have to be measured very accurately and be wedged in very tightly in order to be taking any loading. I don't know much about seamless gutters but from what you describe, it's sound fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back