What should I do about flickering lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some nights when we go to bed about 11pm we notice our bedroom wall lights flicker slightly in a random manner. The flickering is only noticeable with standard tungsten lamps (Halogen and low energy lamps don’t show it) we have never noticed it earlier in the evening.

Last night I was sufficiently awake to investigate, so I swapped a low energy light for a tungsten lamp downstairs which is on a separate circuit. It could be seen to flicker too.

I then took an inspection lamp and plugged it into the sockets, it flickered just the same, even in the kitchen which is an extension and has its own consumer unit separate from the rest of the house, and is complete with recent PIR.

About 7 years ago we had a similar occurrence, so I contacted my DNO who said it was because I live in an agricultural area. This surprised me as I live in a town just north of Nottingham. Then one night soon after we lost power completely at 2:00am. It took me a while to persuade anyone to come out as no one else was affected, however they dug up the road remade a connection and power was restored. All was well, until now.

What should I do now guys?

Sponsored Links
Ask if anyone else living near you has experienced the same. If it is a supply problem, the more folk that complain, the merrier!

I had the same not so long back, was the DNO fuse sizzling at their transformer.

Sponsored Links
We get it when a bt oif water gets into one of the lead/paper/tar cables in the village, normally it spits it out but occasionally we get the voltage going all over the shop until the fuse/recloser finally gives up.

The folowing day we get van loads of Central Networks chaps stood around a trench scratching their heads for the best part of a working day and all is well once again.

Unfortunately this is all born out of years of continued penny pinching when it comes to supply infrastructure.

Oh yes, we had an underground 11Kv pop up a few slabs in town last week, probably got it on CCTV too, so if i can extract it I'll be posting it on youtube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back