What should I do with this ceiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have what looks like popped tape in the celing in one of my bedrooms (see pictures below). Also seems to have been repaired badly in the past in places. Should I get an artexer to re-artex the ceiling or does it need to other attention :confused:

3284311334_0c03a446c5.jpg

3284311546_c710a4f0ae.jpg

3284311156_f3050e9c2b.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would get a plasterer in to look at/replaster your ceiling. Artex cannot be patched. The loose tape/s would have to be removed, and to be honest ,I would check/remove them all. That way, you can get new scrim tape put onto all the joints. After that, you can then get the ceiling PVA'd and skim plastered, leaving you with a flat surface.

Roughcaster.

with that much preparation-would you not be better just pulling the boards off- and starting again??? prob need 30 quid of boards. then plaster

Sponsored Links
with that much preparation-would you not be better just pulling the boards off- and starting again??? prob need 30 quid of boards. then plaster

Why would you want to pull the whole ceiling down and re-board Tom, when all it needs are the old tapes removed, re-taped with joint scrim, and then skim plastered over,,, there's nothing wrong with the boards, only the joints........ Pulling it all down will affect the coving too, not to mention all the work/mess involved....

What we looking at?,,,,, Ripping down old ceiling,,, cleaning up/removing mess,,, possibly adding more noggins,,, buying new plasterboard,,, fitting it,,, buying plaster,,, taping the joints,,, skimming the ceiling,,, buying new coving,, + adhesive,,, fitting new coving,,, plus the cost for labour,,, and all for some loose tapes.

As i said,,,,for me,, remove old tapes, re-tape joints with scrim, pva, then plaster with bonding/multi finish. Total cost for materials,,, a "lot" less than £30 quid,, plus it's quicker, cleaner, and cheaper in the long run. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back